Ok, looks like the roo has to go and this is my first time!

robmcsched

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Our lovely Americauna roo attacked my five lb poodle yesterday...three times. He's also moved menacingly towards small children who don't understand the process of showing the roo who is boss. He totally whooped my dog--and could injure him given enough time and a little spur growth...

Our purpose for chickens in the first place was hens for organic eggs--that part is going well, except we ended up with a rooster in our first batch--we actually fell in love with him and love to hear him crow. I teach piano, and he sometimes jumps on a nearby patio table, looks in our window and crows along (well, we like to think he is crowing along...or is this also aggressive behavior?) to the piano music. Due to his recent aggressive behavior, though, I can't risk him injuring a small child or my dog...so he has to go. I knew this was a possibility--so I'm ready to deal with it. If he's gonna get eaten, I figure it might as well be done by us.

So I guess what I'm looking for is a little moral support along with information on butchering. I found one link, but more would be helpful...we've never done the deed before and need all the info and helpful hints we can get! I did look through this site for a blog on butchering, but couldn't find one with specific details.

Robyn in Carmichael

I thought I would lose it the first time we did it but it wasn't nearly as bad as my mind made it out to be. My husband did the deed as I turned my head and plugged my ears. I didn't hear a darn thing and it was over in like 10 seconds. He just used a broom handle. Then he dipped them in boiling water that he had going over an open fire outside. My job was to pluck the feathers and it was easy due to the hot boiling water opening up the pores. The only thing that I thought was grose was sometimes you would get what looked like gel coming out of the shafts. I hope this helps you a little bit.

Thanks for all the responses! I'll check out the links and let you know how it goes...the dog was here, first--so no mean roosters allowed!

R

Thanks to all who sent links!

We decided to do the deed tonight--and it went really well! All the websites were really helpful, and the feathers came out so easy we were shocked. We followed instructions and had the water about 150 degrees F for a good scald...the feathers came out easily and perfectly. He is now cleaned and in the fridge--ready for Sunday dinner.

Does anyone out there have a recipe for "koshering" or "brining" the chicken? I read one awhile back that just involved soaking in salt water for about an hour or so--but I can't find that recipe anywhere now.

Thanks to all for the support--I feel much better now that the deed is done. It'll be interesting to see if his two hens will miss him. They're sound asleep right now and will wake up to find him gone.

Robyn in Carmichael

Quote:
Interesting. That's essentially the same way that we cleaned game birds (pheasants, partridges). As long as you're not looking to roast the chicken, and don't need the skin (lots of fat there), that seems like a good way to go about processing: no scalding, no plucking, no eviscerating.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom