OK, Sevin dust, is it good or not?!

frow.gif
Hi, I'm new here. I stumbled on this group/thread while doing a search on pesticides. I have a question about Sevin Dust.
Does it have any affect on spiders, bed bugs, roaches, and waterbugs?

Harpo

frow.gif
Hi, I'm new here. I stumbled on this group/thread while doing a search on pesticides. I have a question about Sevin Dust.
Does it have any affect on spiders, bed bugs, roaches, and waterbugs?

Harpo

It kills bees (which is a reason NOT to use it, bees are already having problems). I would guess it would kill other insects too.

Ok I know it works well, so I will use it in my concoction for dust baths, along w DE and wood ashes, mixed in with the dirt/dust that my chix choose as the spot of the week..my question or observation here..the main issue ppl seem to always bring up is the issue of killing bees, which of course, is not a good thing..however, no one seems to be bringing up that "all natural" DE kills bees as well..u need to avoid putting it on blooms of flowers for that reason....so why doesn't that ever come up in these discussions? U will always get different opinions on these issues,,using it is a personal choice, but u need to ensure that your decisions are made using all the factors involved..I am not going to defend using it..my personal opinion is that a small portion of the dust I make up will contain a chemical..as well as natural ingredients that may harm bees if I'm not careful to minimize or eliminate any potential contact between bees and where my chickens bathe..

P.s...I am having a lot of trouble finding any bulk quantities of the dust..the only bulk or even close to bulk, is granules.. Am working on finding out how to incorporate this problem into my equation.. Am going to call the manufacturer to find out why they are only selling it in small shakers now...if the dust is safe in shakers then it should be safe in a bag to be put in a shaker...it may be just BC they make more money with the small shakers..who knows?..but I intend to find out, lol..

Ok I know it works well, so I will use it in my concoction for dust baths, along w DE and wood ashes, mixed in with the dirt/dust that my chix choose as the spot of the week..my question or observation here..the main issue ppl seem to always bring up is the issue of killing bees, which of course, is not a good thing..however, no one seems to be bringing up that "all natural" DE kills bees as well..u need to avoid putting it on blooms of flowers for that reason....so why doesn't that ever come up in these discussions? U will always get different opinions on these issues,,using it is a personal choice, but u need to ensure that your decisions are made using all the factors involved..I am not going to defend using it..my personal opinion is that a small portion of the dust I make up will contain a chemical..as well as natural ingredients that may harm bees if I'm not careful to minimize or eliminate any potential contact between bees and where my chickens bathe..

Just FYI, Sevin contains Carbaryl, which is a known carcinogen, which is why the dust is being phased out and granules and pellets are all that are still being manufactured. DE is only harmful to bees until rain washes it into the soil, where it becomes a natural amendment as it breaks down, with no chemical footprint.

The DE vs Sevin battles wages on almost every thread on the subject lol ;)

If you have no problem with your Chooks or yourself using it, by all means, continue...I prefer the DE and a great extract called Neem. No chance for cancer and no chemical footprint ;)

Last edited:
Sorry to keep dragging out this old post but in reading each and every post written, I haven't seen anyone address the question about chickens accidentally ingesting the Sevin dust. If it can get into their eyes and nostrils while dusting, can't that be really bad for them? And some folks are using it in their dust bath areas. Again, chickens are constantly pecking at the dirt so could they accidentally ingest it? And what happens to them if they do?

I have a 1.5 year old Rhode Island White who at first glance doesn't seem to have any mites but I know that my flock has had them in the past and I did a great job of getting rid of them then. She is constantly shaking her head, seems somewhat dazed, doesn't eat as much anymore so I am guessing mites. I've dusted her with DE a couple of days ago but nothing has improved. I also put her on antibiotics just in case it could be something else. She's still the same. I am thinking of dusting her with the Sevin dust but am horribly worries she could ingest it.

Also, has anyone heard of All Natural Poultry Protector? It's a non-toxic liquid you mix with water and then pour over your chickens to help with mites.

Not sure what to do...

Last edited:
In extremely strong cases of infestations I bath my chicken with an Neem oil emulsion, which is use also to spray out the coop after wet cleaning. Otherwise Diatomicious Earth or alternatively Rock dust is enough to reduce the mites.

I used Sevin dust in the past because it works and if you have an infested flock you need it to work without a doubt, especially if they are unfortunate to have northern fowl mites which are apsolutley terrible and can easily kill very quickly soo yes I'd use it if I had to but honestly I had a problem with mites and lice ONCE and it was because I was stupid enough to add purchased birds from questionable sources to my flock but ever since I haven't I've never had any sort of pest whatsoever in my flock so go figure?

here is an old farmer method for getting rid of rats and mice, put grain in the bottom of a bucket just enough to line the bottom of it. has to be a bucket that the rodent can't get back out of easily. now fill with enough water that they will drowned. if they are big rats you will have to kill but they can't get out of the bucket so they are trapped and no chemicals were used. my father did this in the barn for as long as I could remember. good luck
Good luck. I has a rat so bought a big rat trap. 8 dollars guaranteed to kill on contact. 2 days later hear thump thump thump . No more rat or trap . Guess he took it with him. At least for now he is gone. As is the trap.

Sorry to keep dragging out this old post but in reading each and every post written, I haven't seen anyone address the question about chickens accidentally ingesting the Sevin dust.  If it can get into their eyes and nostrils while dusting, can't that be really bad for them?  And some folks are using it in their dust bath areas.  Again, chickens are constantly pecking at the dirt so could they accidentally ingest it?  And what happens to them if they do?

I have a 1.5 year old Rhode Island White who at first glance doesn't seem to have any mites but I know that my flock has had them in the past and I did a great job of getting rid of them then.  She is constantly shaking her head, seems somewhat dazed, doesn't eat as much anymore so I am guessing mites.  I've dusted her with DE a couple of days ago but nothing has improved.  I also put her on antibiotics just in case it could be something else.  She's still the same.  I am thinking of dusting her with the Sevin dust but am horribly worries she could ingest it.

Also, has anyone heard of All Natural Poultry Protector?  It's a non-toxic liquid you mix with water and then pour over your chickens to help with mites.

Not sure what to do...
I have been reading up on lice, and mites . Best idea yet I have found is put chicken in a trash bag head sticking out and shake with what ever it is your dusting with in the bag. De, seven ect.

Back
Top Bottom