Ok - so how is THIS for chicken math?

Tressa27884

Songster
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
Cooper, Texas
Hey remember me? I'm the one who ONLY wanted four chicks.....

I went to Concord Feed today because I needed to pick up starter feed, parrot and dog food. Today is the day they are NOT supposed to have chicks in. So I walk in and I hear the siren call of chicks...peep. peep. peep. I walk over to the baby bins and see these two cute little black babies in with a mix of other bantams etc. I ask the girl what they are and she says she doesn't know for sure - 'but let me check'.......back a few minutes later ..... [I'm going to spell this wrong] - Crevecours! Apparently the place they get their chicks from was due to send black cochins and they didn't hatch - so they replaced the order.

How is it that I went in for food - and came home with two more babies? So now I have my two new babies [Margot and Madeline] + a Blue Langsham [Blue], a Barred Leghorn [Biker, a Barred Cochin [Abbie], a Light Brahma [Dixie], a Silver Laced Wyandotte [Tiffany], two EE [Pearl & Sugar], a Black Cochin [Little], a Blue Silkie Bantam [Caroline] and a White Headed Black Polish Bantam [Cotton] - WAAAAAY more than 4!

Yikes!

I give you an A+ in chicken math!!! Job well done!!!
thumbsup.gif

I have to toe the line on the number of chicks I can have - 4. I'd love to get some barred rocks but I think my husband would either file for a divorce or have me committed.
big_smile.png

Off topic: You live in the NorCal bay area? How do you like Concord Feed? I'd been going to Half Mood Bay Feed & Fuel, but I'll never go there again - their chicken person is unbelievably rude! I hate to have to drive over the bridge, but there are no feed stores in San Francisco.

Last edited:
Quote:
I LOVE Concord Feed! LOVE LOVE LOVE them. Of course today when I was there I asked them to ban me from the store until chic season is over. The store on Clayton road is a lot smaller than the other, but both have really friendly staff. They're happy to order stuff for me, and when I went to one store looking for my Silkie and Polish and they didn't have any they called the other store and held one of each for me until I could get there. I have nothing but good things to say about them. They're a bit more expensive than Pet Smart - but I go there for all my animal supplies [and pay more] - because I like the people and help I get.

Tressa

You guys are still in the addition stage of chicken math...Wait until you get to the multiplying stage! You see a hen lays an egg almost every day. In 21 days, it becomes a chick. In 6 months, that chick will be laying. Meanwhile , mother hen is still laying. Oh yeah, and the crazy chicken owner goes on back yard chicken site and trades for more eggs of different breeds! Did I mention how we have to go to the feed store too? And they force us to buy their cute chicks as well..
My husband is going on vacation by himself this year because I am a chicken addict:-D

I found that chicken math can happen unexpectedly...I went to buy my 6 chicks, I wanted a mixture so I could tell them apart and give them names. Well I decided I wanted 2 more aracanas (probably spelled wrong) When I got to the store the chicks I wanted were all gone, well I could not go home with nothing, could I, I came home with 2 more blue andelusions. I was caught on the way in the house. Oops. My husband asked me how many and I said only 2. Later I was upstairs messing with the plant starts and he came up to see the chicks and asked why there was 9 chicks in the box and I said no there was only eight. I bought 6 and then the next day bought 2 more, that is 8 right, wrong! Apparently I bought 7 the first trip and then added 2 more which makes 9. Even when you do not plan on it chicken math happens.

Oh gosh I find myself aching for chicks like some women ache when they see a baby and want one. I just love raising them up from little bitties to big girls. It's so fun to see them grow and develop both physically and personality. Chicken math is killer. I almost brought home 3 more the other day because they seemed to be the last loan 3 girls at the store. They were spoken for thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom