Ok to stop incubator after 5 hrs and eat eggs?

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi, it looks like my incubator won't be able to maintain the proper temperature with this cold front coming this weekend. I'd have to put a space heater in that room, and the electricity which would cost as much as buying hatchery chicks. Will embryos or red spots have developed in the last 5-6 hrs? Is it ok to eat or sell these eggs?

I would not sell them. Spending that many hours at warm temperatures will have an effect on how long they will be good in storage-- they age faster when they are warmer. So even if they do not have visible red spots, I would still not sell them.

As regards eating them at home, take one out and crack it to see what you think.

Even if they have red spots, they should be safe to eat, just maybe not appetizing. You could use them in recipes that disguise the red spots: mixed into meatloaf, or in a pumpkin pie, or any other recipe that has enough color/texture to make it not obvious. Maybe hard boil them and make deviled eggs, and if you notice any spot on the yolk you can pick it off at that time.

Back
Top Bottom