Okay, so the top of the pecking order has been established......

92Pony

Songster
13 Years
Mar 1, 2010
South Carolina
In my flock of 2BR, 2EEs, and 1 BO, one of the BRs has proclaimed herself king of the mountain.
lol.png
I love to sit and watch them in the run (they're about 9wks old). The one BR, whom my daughter named Pilot, has emerged as #1. Any time ANY of the other girls decide to run, or flap their wings, or do that running-fly thing that they do, Ms. Pilot IMMEDIATELY rushes to them, and confronts them, chest-to-chest, as if to say, "I say what goes here, and there will be NONE of that!" - LOL!!
lol.png
Sometimes she even deems a peck to the beak necessary to drive her point home. When two or three take off flying, she really her hands full trying to discipline them all!
big_smile.png
I find it quite amusing - just thought I'd share.

Wade

Hi Wade!

They're so funny, aren't they?

Mine are two weeks old and have started challenging each other and it's a riot to watch! Not surprised its a BR being alpa chicken (is that what they call the top chicken???)

My BR are by far the most outgoing and curious ones in the brooder. I found one perched on top of the pretty tall brooder box this morning too. It just looked at me for a minute then casually decided to fly back into the brooder. Lord only knows what the heck goes on in there when I'm not around
big_smile.png

Lord only knows what the heck goes on in there when I'm not around

Trust me. You don't wanna know.
roll.png

Imp-It ain't pretty
lol.png

Quote:
Trust me. You don't wanna know.
roll.png

Imp-It ain't pretty
lol.png

Ha! Yeah, sometimes its better to live in ignorance, I'm sure! But if you know something I don't....you could at least warn me!
hide.gif

My brooder is in the bathroom, and I don't mind cleaning up chick messes that much, so I don't keep a lid on the brooder. Once the kids start to fly, I'll come home and find all of them perched on the edge of the brooder, pretty proud of themselves. Then I know it won't be too long before I'll open that bathroom door and find a chick in the middle of the floor, looking up at me like "What? I was just out here looking for bugs!"

What's really cute is when I find one on the counter, pecking at its reflection in the faucet.

The highest in the pecking order usually doesn't go right back into the brooder, but waits for me to pick it up and put it back. Of course, I'm reinforcing the behavior by sitting down on the only seat in there, and holding and stroking that chick for a while. She tells me all sorts of things; if only I could understand her!

cool.png

I think they are planning something. When I start to get close to them they stop talking and look at me like I'm interrupting.
rant.gif
lau.gif

i know right i do think there plannig because when i turn my back on them 1 peeps like nows are chance get him!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom