old english game?

oldcluck

Chirping
8 Years
May 16, 2011
I have had a friend who has given me a pair of bantams to take care of for her until she has some place in the country. She told me they were old english game from cackle hatchery. I am thinking of getting some eggs from them this spring and hatching a few chicks. Trouble is i am not sure what variety they are. First I thought they may be BBR. but now I am not so sure. Anyone able to tell me what they are?
OEG-Bantam.jpg

hen looks bbr the roo is eather mille fluer or spangled. im leaning more towards the mille for him but they arent a same color pair

Any chicks from those two would not breed true. You'd be crossing Spangled OEG and Black Breasted Red OEG. BBRed for short. or BBR. Not sure what the outcome would be.

sad.png
Darn, I was hoping they were both the same variety but was afraid they may not be. i might try hatching a few just to see what i get. Thanks folks.

The cock is Spangled, the hen Black Breasted Red. As long as you don't care for show-quality "perfect" colors that won't throw any surprises later down the line, there's no reason not to get some chicks from them. If there's nothing weird hiding in the genetic background of either parent (always a possibility with hatchery birds), I believe you will end up with birds that are more or less colored like a black breasted red with a little bit of white showing up here and there.

Last edited:
Quote:
You will/should get Black Breasted Red offspring that carry but don't show the Modeling Gene.
I say should because if the hen carries the Modeling Gene the you will get some Spangled offspring also.

Do the the 2 birds in the picture have Yellow or White legs? If they are Yellow then there just pet quality or hatchery quality and wouldn't be show worthy.

Chris

Roo's legs is pale yellow, hen's is white. I have never shown chickens so they would be primarily just for fun. They are about 7 months old. The hen has to my knowledge never laid. I think these guys were not fed well at their last home as they gorged themselves the first night I had them. Going to make a small partition in the hen house for them this weekend. Will see what happens.
Are the games decent layers or should I only expect a few eggs in the spring from them?

My OEG are fairly good layers. Out of 3 or 4 hens, i got an egg everyday, or 2. Sometimes 3. Not sure what the weather is where you are, but I haven't gotten an egg in weeks. Not enough day light hours. And i don't run lights in my hen hosue. I figure they'll have some rest from laying. So that may be the reason why she hasn't laid yet.. But with one hen. You'll get an egg every other day or so.

Back
Top Bottom