Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Pics

michaelinnc84

Songster
8 Years
Feb 5, 2011
Western North Carolina
In my research for incubators and broody hens I thought it might be nice to have a centralized thread for people who are interested in hatching eggs using the broody hen method. This thread is not meant to put down incubators, as they are a very useful tool, but to share knowledge and experience with each other on how to hatch eggs using a broody hen.

I will attempt to edit this post to include tips and FAQs on some of the best methods and tips to use when hatching eggs using a broody hen. If you have any knowledge please share it. If you know of anything that would be useful to add to the FAQs or tips please PM me.

We can also use this thread to share pics and hatching details with each other.

I am not sure how many people are interested in doing this but I thought it would be neat to see how many people use this method.
It would seem a lot of people are interested in using this method. It allows for a more natural hatching and raising experience and helps provide a more sustainable flock.

Thanks to everyone for making this thread a success. Sharing of knowledge is what we humans do best and the vast information in this thread is helping improve a lot of peoples flocks.

Please take a moment to review the FAQs below.

Last edited:
Note: If you see any misinformation, things you think should be added, information needing updated or removed, or any other changes to the FAQs please PM me. I will try and keep them updated. Thanks!

FAQs

How old does a hen and rooster need to be to be able to breed?
They need to be between 16 and 18 weeks old.

How do I know if a hen is broody?
They tend to stay in their nest boxes - getting up only a couple times a day - if that - to get nurishment and to relieve herself. A broody hen also might growl or bite at you if you come too close. They also tend to puff out their feathers to look larger and also to pull some feathers to keep their eggs warm.

Purpose of a broody hen?
A broody hen is great to have around if you want to hatch eggs the natural way. They are great on farms that want to be self sustainable or in case of a power outage when you can't use an electrical incubator. The broody hen will also protect and teach the young chicks. They do however stop laying eggs while being broody and this is a problem for some.

Other hens laying eggs in her nest?
If you find other hens laying eggs in the broody hens nest, it is is best to mark the broodies eggs with a washable non toxic marker. This will allow you to collect the extra eggs each day and ensure the broody continues to sit on the same eggs. Others have had success with moving the broody hen off by herself where other hens can't get to her.

How do I make my hen go broody?
You can't make a hen go broody, especially if it's not in her nature or if broodyness has been bred out of that breed by other breeders or hatcheries. You can however get a few golf balls and put in a nest to see if that will encourage her to go broody. If she sits on the golf balls for a few days without getting up except for a few minutes, then she is broody and you can put some fertile eggs under her.

What are the best broody hens?
Araucana - Frequent Brooder
Australorp - Very Frequent Brooder
Belgian D'Anver - Frequent Brooder
Belgian D'Uccle - Very Frequent Brooder
Brahma - Frequent Brooder
Cochin - Top Notch Brooders
Dominique - Frequent Brooder
Dorking - Very Frequent Brooder
Japanese - Very Frequent Brooder
Java - Frequent Brooder
Marans - Very Frequent Brooder
New Hampshire - Good Brooder
Orpington - Frequent Brooder
Silkie - Top Notch Brooder
Sussex - Good Brooder

Last edited:
I put 10 eggs under my broody silkie cross last year. That was my first time hatching anything.
love.gif

It was such fun that I have just ordered 10 Buff Sussex eggs for her. They should be here by Wednesday. Can't WAIT!!!!
jumpy.gif

Has anyone tried leaving their broody hen with the flock? I would be worried that the other birds might kill the little chicks. I'd love to hear!
thumbsup.gif

One big reason for isolating the broody is the fact that laying hens seem to prefer to follow fashion, rather than think for themselves. (This is also a great object lesson for my teens) Hens don't like to have to figure out for themselves where the safe places are for laying eggs. That's why they're so attracted to nest boxes with other eggs or egg-ish looking objects already in them. "Well, somebird else thinks that's a good place to lay, so I'll lay my egg there too!" There seems to be something irresistable about a nest with a broody hen in it. "WOW, that's such a great safe place that she plans to raise her children there!" and they all go nuts trying to add their eggs to that clutch. (Similar behavior can be found in big cities among parents of preschoolers searching for the ideal day care center)

With chickens it might also be a survival behavior, adding eggs to another hen's nest, getting your DNA out there even if another hen will incubate & raise it.

When the hen has her privacy insured then the other hens won't get in to bother her. Sometimes eggs get pushed out, cracked or broken. Even when other hens haven't pushed the broody out, they can go on the nest when the broody is out on her daily coffee break and still be there when she returns. Sometimes the broody will just go on to another nest and happily start incubating those eggs, meanwhile the intruding hen has left the original nest and now the egglings are left to cool.

It is possible for a hen to brood along her flockmates right in the coop, but it's just not the ideal set-up in my opinion. I always try to move the broody, or block off the area for her, whenever possible.

Okay, sometimes you just need a little help from your neighbors (who are great people btw).

I had sadly lost my great-grandma Cream Legbar recently (she was 9 and has been instrumental in developing my olive egger flock), and that night on lock up I knew I'd be down a bird. I counted....18. Uhm, I thought it should have been 19, because, well 20 (I thought) minus one now deceased bird leaves 19, right. Nope 18.

I look and look. For the last week and half I've looked and looked in the bushes, everywhere, even checking that table by the bbq. I'm SURE I was counting 20 at lock up before Grandma Cream passed (I'm not very creative with my names). Nope 18.

I had just convinced myself I can't count and there should be 18 when....my neighbor calls and leaves message on my machine. I need to come over and talk with him tonight asap as he will be removing the apple tree on our fence line tomorrow.

So, tonight I walk over to the fence as he, as usual, was working in his yard. He tells me, "You do know you have a hen in the brambles? She's been there about a week and a half. I saw a pile of eggs about a week ago, and she's been sitting a few days after that. I won't disturb her tomorrow when I cut the tree, but it will be noisy for her."

There is NO way to get to the hen. She is buried so deeply on my side the only way to see her is from the neighbor's side. My neighbor offers to try to squeeze between the wire fence to see if he can grab the eggs, but I tell him not to bother. I doubt she will budge, and if she's this dedicated, then let her try.

I'm pretty sure this is my bbq table hen again, only with a niftier location this time.

I don't need any more chicks (after hatching 6 already), but the only thing I'm mad about is she had me convinced I had 18 birds. I see 18. Yep. 18.

Sneaky girl. I'll let you know if she does better on this try. The neighbor says she is on and off the nest, but maybe she'll settle better now that's she not on the table.

LofMc

Beginning of July, my blrw x (ccl x cm) disappeared. My GW broody in the coop (3rd time)
20230706_081533.jpg
Followed her.

20230706_082034.jpg
Found her.
20230706_082100.jpg
20230707_073634.jpg
The 2 brown eggs are not hers. The rest are hers.

20230725_065559.jpg
Late July

20230725_192554.jpg

20230728_070136.jpg
2 days after she came off the nest.

20230808_173622.jpg
Last night, 2 weeks old, still has all 5. Still attacking any below her in the pecking order, warning off the others, including the roos and me.

Hello All. Im absolultey thrilled someone started this. I am a beginner at the natural brooding way but sooo excited about it. I will tell you how I have done mine and i will accept any comments and or advise.I have around 35 golden comet hens and about 10 buffs. One of my golden comets decided she wanted to go broody, which is WONDERFUL! I have never hatched and I have always bought mine at a Tractor Supply or local feed store. I saw that about a week ago she started sitting. I got advice and searched the internet for help. What I learned was to let her set a few more days to see if she really is going to hold it out being a first timer. On day 4 I moved her out of the coop into another smaller pen. I used a Lg Breed Dog Cage and altered it to make a nice brooder for my hen. They said it needed to be slightley darker covered and good air circulation. When I moved her she ate, drank and pooed (A LOT) and then went to the nest about 10 min later. ON day 6 and day 7 I decided to pick her off the nest to see if she would go back or not. A friend of mine suggested this to see if she was going to sit "tight"" and accept the 21 day challenge. This morning I checked her and she was still sitting. I talked to my friend and he said sounds like she is ready to put some eggs under her. I set 16 Golden Comet eggs. O I also moved her to the new pen after dark and placed un valued eggs in it before I moved it so she wasnt confused. Now my book that I have (stories book on how to raising chickens) says to use pine wood shavings but those are costly and I have a lge supply of hay and staw I opted for straw. Never had a problem with it this early in the year.

If i left my hen i with the others I would be scared that one the others might decide to eat the fuzzy intruders when they are hatched and that another hen would mix her nest up with the sitting hen. To many variables for me. I opted to mover her !!

Here's "Trouble"..........AGAIN!
IMG_2412.JPG

All 6 orp eggs hatched, but one chick has the yolk sac hanging out. I wrapped it in a moist paper towel and put it into a cup inside the incubator. (my ICU) My hope is to prevent it from running around & rupturing the herniated naval. I may have to cull it, but we'll see what the next 24 hrs brings. Has anyone had a successful end to this type of story?

Other than that, I have 5 healthy chicks & one happy mama hen.

Back
Top Bottom