old freezer

BYCer "Opa" has made a smoker from one, he uses it to smoke chickens for the MI Chickenstock every year.
wink.png
I hear it's quite delicious and in high demand!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=443960

We had a refrigerator smoker, my dad would smoke fish in it. It was old (even with the rust you could make out the natural gas flame on it)

It was quite the talk of the neighborhood and my friends.

Thankfully, some one hauled it off for us a few months back

Before you make yours, remember most modern refrigerators are almost all plastic inside, probably not the flavor you want to seal in your food

Last edited:
Feed storage! That's what my grandmother would do to her freezers when they went out. At the time we just had 50 or so mutts and doms, maybe a few ducks, and two really mean geese. Weevles never got into the feed after she did that.

Glad to see your question because I've been wondering the same thing. Mine is a 7 cu RV frig/freezer that I've been trying to figure a new use for.
smile.png

well i appreciate all the comments guys looks like feed bin wins. so do you guys make dividers and empty your bags into the divided areas or just throw the bags in there and thats it. we get quite a bit of snow during the winter. anyone had any problems with leaking i would hate to spoil a bunch of feed. or mice do they seem to keep the mice out. cause at the moment thats my main problem. they went threw a hole 50 lb. bag of rabbit feed and ruined it... any other suggestions. thanks for the tip about the pallets.

Quote:
I empty the bags in the divided areas. If you just have one or two you should be able to hold about 5 or 6 50lb bags on each side. One of mine is divided in to 3 sections (1 section being where the "shelf" is) I can hold 6 - 50 LB in one section, 5 - 50LB in the middle and 2- in the "shelf" section.

I decided I might use mine as an air conditioned Veranda
big_smile.png
for the chickens in the summer (instead of using a big tub). Freezer turned on its side, door overhead secured open as additional shade, frozen water bottles inserted in the interior.

My first thought was a brooder box, but it would make a great feed holder! If the freezer isn't running, it won't hold the suction that keeps fridges and freezers closed. You'll have to add a latch on the door. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom