old hen, constant egg binding/common ailment advice?

chickchickie

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 20, 2015
Hi all,

I have an 8 year old hen, going on 9, (breed: sex link red star) who seems to having some kind of health problems. She sort of hobbles as she walks and legs seem to be somewhat turned in, so that her feet are very close together (not an issue she had growing up). Sometimes her tail is sort of bent downwards as well. She does not make any obvious sounds of distress (no squawking or anything) and will still walk around some in this state as well as eat (though she does not seem to eat much food in general anymore), but does not walk long or for far and will prefer to sit down instead, making me think it probably hurts her to be too active. I think she is frequently egg bound as well, as she seems to hobble less and is more active right after laying an egg (which does not happen too frequently anymore but will happen every once in a while) and her tail is perkier after laying the egg as well.

Since she is getting so old and exhibiting these symptoms, I was wondering if anyone knows of what to do if she is indeed experiencing frequent egg binding, or if not, what other ailments this could be, or if this is just her getting old? And also, since she is already so old, what other health problems should I be on the lookout for that might come out at her age? Pictures included of the strange walk I am describing (video would not upload).

IMG_3188.JPG IMG_3190.JPG

For context, she lives with a rooster, same age but not exhibiting any of these behaviors. He too, eats less and is less active than when he was younger and is not as agile or swift anymore, but still moves around more than she does and seems to have less mobility issues despite being blind in one eye (though I think his eyesight may not be as good as it used to be anymore either. Anyone have experiences on how to care for a blinding chicken?). The weather is hot and humid here in the summer, but they have been fine all their previous summers. For diet, they eat a mixture of rice and wild birdseed (sorghum, sunflower seed, millet, and dried corn) as their staple and also are given table leftovers (meat, vegetables, grains), as well as fruit and vegetable scraps regularly (though they have lately mostly stopped eating these). They have access to a compost pile but are rarely seen digging for worms in there anymore, though my hen will still sometimes chase the occasional insect while free ranging. They have access to grit and dust baths as well, and I leave crushed egg shells in the coop for my hen to eat.

Older birds like yours can get arthritis in their legs and feet which can cause them to walk differently. Most hens stop laying by 8 but sometimes some continue with an egg here and there. I wouldn't necessarily think of egg binding. Older hens also can get reproductive cancers so that could cause problems as tumors push on nerves that run to the legs. They also sometimes will internally lay.

Their diet sounds a bit fatty, which can cause problems. You might want to switch to an actual chicken ration. At her age a non medicated starter grower or all flock ration would be best. A layer ration will have too much calcium.

The oldest chicken I've had was 10. Sometimes birds live longer but that's not common.

Older birds like yours can get arthritis in their legs and feet which can cause them to walk differently. Most hens stop laying by 8 but sometimes some continue with an egg here and there. I wouldn't necessarily think of egg binding. Older hens also can get reproductive cancers so that could cause problems as tumors push on nerves that run to the legs. They also sometimes will internally lay.

Their diet sounds a bit fatty, which can cause problems. You might want to switch to an actual chicken ration. At her age a non medicated starter grower or all flock ration would be best. A layer ration will have too much calcium.

The oldest chicken I've had was 10. Sometimes birds live longer but that's not common.

I agree, I don't give my young flock (2yrs old) any scraps, they only get layer feed and mealworms with salad greens. You are killing your chickens with kindness! Feed a starter feed, they don't need calcium for egg production at their geriatric age. They will live longer with a better diet:love

update: i ended up needing to take her to the vet as she was doing very poorly, particularly with the summer heat. vet narrowed it down to either egg peritonitis or a nutritional deficiency and prescribed an antibiotic and some vitamin supplements. i've also switch back to a starter feed. she is doing much better now. thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom