Old hen....new to flock

Byugal

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 11, 2010
Hello, everyone. My name is Marilyn, but I go by Byugal...I live on Chocolate Bayou in s/e Texas. I'm 63 years old and have kept chickens off and on over the years, and of course, my mother always had all kinds of poultry when I was growing up.

I am a wildlife rehabber and when the Humane Society gets in something different, they usually call me. They had a white leghorn rooster, who had been one of those dyed Easter chicks. I brought him home, and I got two EE chicks (Amber and Alaya) to go with him.
I love my bearded ladies. They seldom miss laying an egg, even all through the winter. I named the rooster, Sparky. He isn't much of a rooster. He would rather spend his time waiting for a chance to flog me than following his hens around. So much for apprecication for me giving him a nice life in the country.
roll.png

I have a couple of dozen bantam chicks that I got recently from the feed store. I've had fun trying to figure out what they are from reading the forum. I have a couple of "chicken tractors" that I put them out in every day, as long as I am home to keep an eye on them. I really enjoy watching them.

About three weeks ago, the shelter called me to come get a baby duck. They said it was yellow....so I assumed it would be a pekin.
However, it is so small....much smaller than what a pekin duck would be. I really didn't think it would live because it had been without food or water for quite awhile, but he has done great. I picked out four of the bantams to put with him. It took several tries to find
some that didn't cry and settled down with him. One of his adopted mothers is Sandra, one of those buff silkies that everyone talks about from Ideal.
big_smile.png
She isn't pretty, but she seems to have the Mama gene, because she lets him cuddle up to her. I named the duck Pip. Could he be a Call duck, since he is so very small?

I have been married 44 years and have a 30 year old daughter, who lives and works in Houston. My husband is a captain on a tow boat, so he is gone 2 or 3 weeks out of the month. Besides the chickens and duck, I have umpteen cats....also from the shelter. I
take cats that haven't been adopted, as long as they are neutered or spayed. Also three dogs, 4 horses that range in age from 29 to 7, and 2 feral hogs....one which came from the shelter, and has been spayed, and one which was dumped out here.

Lots of danger here for chickens, and so I must be diligent in keeping them safely confined or well secured at night. My rooster and two hens stay out during the day and I shut them up in a secure coop at night. The cats and dogs don't bother them, and the hogs stay out in the pasture or woods except at night. They have never showed any interest in the chickens, but I wouldn't trust them with the bantams, and there is always a threat from the wildlife, but you expect that when you live in the middle of the woods.

We have an old farm house that we are fixing up, and I love to garden and go to flea markets, yard sales, etc.

I am so impressed by your knowledge and love for your chickens....I am looking forward to getting to know you better.

Hi Marilyn! Welcome to BYC! I am also a wildlife rehabber. I don't talk about it much on here because I tend to rehab and save things that most people trap and kill on here
sad.png
. It sounds like you have your hand full there. I love old farmhouses. Please post pics if you get a chance.

Suzieq, that is why I didn't mention my wildlife.
wink.png
I have 13 possums right now....did have 72 a few weeks ago, and I feed the wild raccoons, which tend to help keep them out of my way. I get the food donated...free....and I feed about......60 raccoons every night!
GASP!!!
lol.png

Hi Marilyn!
welcome-byc.gif
from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us! Wow, you have a great calling!
hugs.gif
We love people who love animals here! Your rooster sounds hilarious!
lol.png
Just hope he doesn't get you to bad! The little stinker, huh? Keep enjoying all your great critters!!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom