Old hen. Tasted new.

Coops Dad

Crowing
May 10, 2020
too close to Waco, TX
I processed a hatchery grade black orpington chicken which i got as a grown bird three years ago. She hadn't laid an egg in 8 months so she ended up in with the young rooster culls last weekend. I intended her as a stew bird but my wife misunderstood my intending and ended up crockpotting her for the chicken meat in bacon ranch packets. I am very pleased. She had a lot of subcutaneous fat and a lot of visceral fat so I'm just admitting that she's probably a chicken analog of me.

She turned out really well; not 8-week old CX tender but not at all tough as I'd expected.

8/10 would process again.
IMG_20240302_160629461_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240302_170929531_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240302_171551048.jpg

I processed a hatchery grade black orpington chicken which i got as a grown bird three years ago. She hadn't laid an egg in 8 months so she ended up in with the young rooster culls last weekend. I intended her as a stew bird but my wife misunderstood my intending and ended up crockpotting her for the chicken meat in bacon ranch packets. I am very pleased. She had a lot of subcutaneous fat and a lot of visceral fat so I'm just admitting that she's probably a chicken analog of me.

She turned out really well; not 8-week old CX tender but not at all tough as I'd expected.

8/10 would process again.
View attachment 3762808View attachment 3762809View attachment 3762810
Making me hungry but I see the plate is already empty. :thumbsup

Yum. So your wife seasoned the whole bird with the ranch powder stuff before putting it in the crock pot?

I'm always looking for different ways to cook and season chicken.

Yum. So your wife seasoned the whole bird with the ranch powder stuff before putting it in the crock pot?

I'm always looking for different ways to cook and season chicken.
No, she did salt, pepper and garlic, then took the cooked meat and shredded it. She put it in foil packets with bacon, broccoli and cheese and put it in the air fryer, then drizzled a little homemade ranch on it when plating,

Back
Top Bottom