Cornish X on 18% feed from start to finish - the results

HenriettaPizzaNolan

Raising Layers and Meat Birds in the City
Premium Feather Member
Apr 22, 2022
Northern Ohio
This was my second time raising CX. My last batch got huge. By 8 weeks I had birds 6.5-8.5 lbs dressed (20-22% first 3 weeks then 18% for remaining weeks). While I was happy with the results in my freezer, I felt a little bad to see them having a hard time walking near the end, even though I didn't have any with actual leg or heart issues. So this time, I decided to see what happens when they are raised on 18% protein only. Yes, I realize I could process before they get too big and save myself from feeding them for 8 weeks, but the goal was to have them grow at a slightly more natural rate, and to see if they truly need the high protein diet they are said to need.

The first couple weeks I almost abandoned the project because they were about HALF the weight of my first batch of CX and I was worried my little yard wouldn't have enough space to move the tractor around until 10-12 weeks old if I needed to. I decided to stick with it anyway and told myself I'd process at 8 weeks pretty much no matter what. The only other issue I saw at this stage was that the bigger chickens weren't feathering as quick as they should, maybe having the lower protein their feathering couldn't keep up with their body growth.

2.5 weeks old
signal-2023-05-22-08-19-27-466.jpg

By week 4 or 5 though, these guys were really only a pound or so under my average weight for the last group, and pretty much stayed that way until the end. The feathering issues subsided quickly and they were very active, healthy birds. We found that these guys could more readily stand and walk at week 8, although they still laid around a lot like CX often do.

6 weeks old
signal-2023-05-22-08-04-08-892.jpg
signal-2023-05-22-08-04-57-226.jpg

At 8 weeks, they dressed out at weights ranging from 5 lbs to 6 lbs 9 oz.

On processing day
signal-2023-05-22-09-14-49-280.jpg

the conga line
signal-2023-05-22-08-09-22-634.jpg
signal-2023-05-22-08-09-34-467.jpg

I should mention that this was not a scientific experiment by any means lol. They were raised practically the same way as the first batch, but the first batch was from Meyer, and the second from TSC (Hoover's?). The first batch was about 50/50 male to female, and in this second batch it was hard to tell but we may have had only one male! That certainly affects weights. Anyway, it was just an experiment and I wanted to share the results with you guys. It's not the most economical way to do things, but if you don't want many mobility issues and are willing to sacrifice a little size, this is a good way to go.

First, thank you for doing this.

Second, if you get the itch, I'm curious what results would be if you used the same hatchery each time (my only batch where Hoovers via TSC and I was not impressed).

Hope to see more records like this in the future.
Thanks! Yeah, I was interested in seeing if CX actually needed the higher protein feed like I've always been told, or if it was just to get them to grow at the faster rate. It's definitely the latter.

I will certainly do this test again if I get CX from TSC for my fall meat birds. I am, however, considering doing Rangers from Meyer instead, so we'll see what I end up with.

Thanks! Yeah, I was interested in seeing if CX actually needed the higher protein feed like I've always been told, or if it was just to get them to grow at the faster rate. It's definitely the latter.

I will certainly do this test again if I get CX from TSC for my fall meat birds. I am, however, considering doing Rangers from Meyer instead, so we'll see what I end up with.
Definitely interested in the Rangers. I've considered them more than once. Were I not so invested in my culling project... I'd start over with superior stock. :)

I felt a little bad to see them having a hard time walking near the end

That was my experience at week 7 too.

I fed 20% start to finish, but I opted to move my processing date a week earlier. I had originally planned to process at week 8. They averaged just under 5 pounds, and 5.5 pounds was my target.

I’m one and done with the Frankenstein chickens. My freedom rangers will be here any day.

That was my experience at week 7 too.

I fed 20% start to finish, but I opted to move my processing date a week earlier. I had originally planned to process at week 8. They averaged just under 5 pounds, and 5.5 pounds was my target.

I’m one and done with the Frankenstein chickens. My freedom rangers will be here any day.
Yeah I think a lot of the feeding suggestions only consider the size of the meat and not the welfare of the bird. I like the Cornish X for what they are, but yeah, it gets a little sad when they get too big. I, too, am thinking of getting some Rangers for my next batch. The only problem I forsee with me getting those is that I live in the city and my yard is barely big enough to accommodate moving the tractor around for 8 weeks for CX. If I have to go up to 10-11 weeks for Rangers, it could be an issue. We'll see though. I could just process early and have smaller dressed birds. I think I actually liked the 5-6 lb range of our birds this time better than the 7-8 lb range of last time.

Anyway, good luck with your Rangers! I hope you get a result you are happier with this time.

I learned the hard way that it’s not just overall protein count but the actual amino acid breakdown of the proteins in the specific ration you feed. I tried doing this with layer formula and it was disastrous. At week 5 or so, I began losing a bird or two a day to a bizarre dynamic. They’d flip onto their backs and not be able to turn back over.

The owner of the hatchery where I got them said this when I sent pictures:
“layer feed is too low in protein for Cornish Cross, and does not contain the proper amino acid profile which Cornish need to grow properly. Cornish need 32 amino acids in order to thrive, and layer feed only has about 25, since layers don’t need a high protein diet, but do need extra calcium and sodium.

When Cornish are fed an inadequate ration, they can essentially starve on the ration which will cause runting, stunting, poor growth and performance, as well as losses.”

Perhaps you found a feed with all 32 amino acids, or maybe being grass fed helped somehow. Your outcome was much better than mine. I’ve concluded that having them sit from being so heavy in the last week or so is simply a cost of such a meat productive bird.

For me, the cobb 500 strain has been the key to stricking the balance between productivity and activity/health.

I learned the hard way that it’s not just overall protein count but the actual amino acid breakdown of the proteins in the specific ration you feed. I tried doing this with layer formula and it was disastrous. At week 5 or so, I began losing a bird or two a day to a bizarre dynamic. They’d flip onto their backs and not be able to turn back over.

“layer feed is too low in protein for Cornish Cross, and does not contain the proper amino acid profile which Cornish need to grow properly. Cornish need 32 amino acids in order to thrive, and layer feed only has about 25, since layers don’t need a high protein diet, but do need extra calcium and sodium.

When Cornish are fed an inadequate ration, they can essentially starve on the ration which will cause runting, stunting, poor growth and performance, as well as losses.”

Perhaps you found a feed with all 32 amino acids, or maybe being grass fed helped somehow. Your outcome was much better than mine. I’ve concluded that having them sit from being so heavy in the last week or so is simply a cost of such a meat productive bird.

For me, the cobb 500 strain has been the key to stricking the balance between productivity and activity/health.
Sorry to hear that happened to you. I used broiler 18% feed and chick 18% feed, so maybe those have the proper amino acids. That's interesting to know, so thanks for posting that.

Yeah, the amino acid breakdown is a whole new concept for me. The day that I switched over to a true broiler formula, they stopped dying, stopped exhibiting balance issues, and began growing normally again. They reached the weights at week 9 that I’d been seeing by week 7. The cobb 500 strain on whilst broiler formula results in a happy, playful bird up until the last week or so, where they are obviously encumbered by weight. I have just begun seeing them as a bird that packs 6 months of living into 6 weeks. They really aren’t a “natural” breed, but we sure do benefit from their fast and prolific growth. There is no other source of meat that is as sustainable in terms of producing a pound of meat for every 2.5 lbs of grain they eat and for a city dweller like me, their rate of growth makes growing them in an urban environment doable. There’s only about a week or so where the smell becomes noticeable to the neighbors and then, done, there resting in freezer camp.

The owner of the hatchery is wrong, but I see where they were trying to go with that. On a short lunch break, will try and come back and explain what they were probably trying to say after work when I have more time - if I'm not too tired.

Back
Top Bottom