Old hens that no longer lay

The only thing you really have to get right is the actual killing. Once they are dead, you cannot hurt them, no matter what you do. Especially when I was learning, I found that comforting to remember, as I muddled through the processing.
Yes. I agree. But I know myself well enough that I would be hesitant at first and therefore prolong the process. I’d need encouragement from someone who has been there done that.

I spent a good 4 months reading, watching videos, taking notes, and gathering equipment.
Still took a few batches to get good at it.
I've been doing the same but I still haven't been brave enough to do the deed. The clock is ticking on some of my hens though. Three are four years old and one of those three, a cochin, lays like five eggs a year lol. But my rooster loves her and I love him so thus far, for his sake, she's still with us. Also I'm a nervous nancy! As for emotions, it'll be sad but I have no significant attachments to her. My other two are Brahmas and laying queens.

If I were to undertake that I would try to get some good training as it’s not the sort of thing I would want to just wing.

Of all things, I learned to kill chickens from an Army survival trainer.

My DH arranged it when we got serious about getting the first chickens even though he found that he's too squeamish to do the deed himself. He's always been very supportive of my chicken desires and thinks that he could handle the scalding and plucking part or even the packaging and/or cutting up part as long as I do the killing and the gutting.

💗💗💗💗💗 for my wonderful DH.

What do you do with your older hens that have stopped laying? So far we keep ours and let them live out their golden years. Our oldest are only 3 though.
I let mine live out their lives. I had one who lived to be 15 years old. I currently have a 10 year old and and 8 year old. Course I have several younger one too. Love my girls and they are welcome here as long as the good Lord allows.

Our girls are pets. We started out with half a dozen and now have about seventy. Chicken math. But they are pets and all have names and colored bands so I can at least look them up when I can't remember them. We get a goodly amount of eggs each day, more than enough for our needs and our immediate family and friends' needs - as well as we are able to sell some extras each week to help offset feed bills a bit. I culled and cleaned chickens when I was a kid so I know I could do it - I choose not to and I don't know that my wife would go for it. So when our girls actually do stop laying I guess we will give them a good retirement - after all, they have earned it.

My intent was to retire my hens to the stew pot when they stopped laying. Involving my two daughters in the planning and especially in the rearing of our first chicks nipped that idea in the bud. I briefly argued my case but then realized the point of this for us was the experience and the reflection on what it takes to feed the human race. So we have what I call the Agricultural, Economic, and Environmental Think Tank and Retirement Home for Post-Menopausal Poultry. I do a lot of thinking while cleaning out the coop. Mostly it is, "this is no way to feed seven billion people!"

Back
Top Bottom