Old Style Chicken Coop, Help Please

funonahonda

Songster
11 Years
Apr 12, 2008
Central Ohio
Hello,
We are looking for a picture of a old time chicken coop for a project for my daughter , the one that have the windows at the very top of the coop,
and the roof line is higher on one side than the other. Thanks alot for your help

There is a reprint of an old book by Prince T. Woods Fresh Air Poultry Houses on the subject -- I think there is a free download of it available somewhere online or you can buy a paper reprint from www.plamondon.com

There are also a lot of threads on here on the subject... one way of finding them is thru this search https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/search.php?search_id=1884493435

A
variety of BYCers have that type coop, mostly newly built but I beleive a few have the actual old ones refurbished. The only names that come to mind offhand are FredsHens and JackE but I know there are a bunch of others including some excellent examples.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Last edited:
Last edited:
I am considering buying this old coop from a neighbor less than two miles from me . It is at least 60 years old and the people that bought the property want rid of it . I think it would be a shame to just tear it down . He wants two hundred dollars which is great but will cost me eight hundred to have it moved to my place . The coop is all wood except the tin roof , 10 ft by 20 ft and is 9 ft tall in the front and slanted in the back . I feel it is in stable condition , looks kinda ratty but I see great possibilities . The floor is also in good condition and has the nesting boxes still in it . I think this is the type of coop you are referring to .

67664_old_chicken_house_003.jpg

67664_old_chicken_house_010.jpg

67664_old_chicken_house_011.jpg

Quote:
I think he should pay YOU to take it off the property.....don't get me wrong, it's a nice old coop, but he is totally taking advantage of you by charging you anything.....you are saving him a lot of work

Quote:
I think he should pay YOU to take it off the property.....don't get me wrong, it's a nice old coop, but he is totally taking advantage of you by charging you anything.....you are saving him a lot of work

My husband will agree with you and says it will take alot of work if it gets to our house in one piece . The first quote was for 450.00 to move it but he didn't look too confident to me .

Quote:

I agree %100 - I could build a coop just like that with all NEW WOOD for near $1000 which is what you're looking to spend in the long run... They should give you the coop for FREE, and even at that I still wouldn't pay $800 to have it moved.

Back
Top Bottom