In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 11, 2009
wink.png
wink.png
wink.png
wink.png
wink.png
New to the flock, I hope. Its been a few years since I've had anything to do with chicks, (chickens). My problems won't be many, but a ton of refresher questions and wanted answers.
My time with the chicks will be in Kansas, and mainly for my personal use and enjoyment in retirement. This may help getting out of the fast track world.
Mainly a good breed for meat and eggs to start, and all sugesstions are accepted.
Have a wonderful day;)
wink.png
wink.png
wink.png

15239_avatar_3466.gif

Glad to see you made it to retirement !!

I sure a lot of people on here will chime in on their favorite breeds.

I have had about half the breeds that I would consider to be good layers and meat birds.

My favorite are the Plymouth rocks. I enjoy the white ones and know that there are different colors to these birds. They are big birds, lay nice eggs and if you find that you have too many roos or that a hen stops laying you can eat them and not waste your time for little meat.

They grow fairly fast and they are docile and friendly.

Hello from a different Brian. I have 16 hens of 6 different breeds here. I spent a fair amount of time researching the breeds I chose (last year), and don't regret my choices at all. All 6 breeds would do well in Kansas, as they are all cold-hardy heritage breeds our settlers used on the east coast (with the exception of the Black Australorp, which is a newer breed).

Here are my breeds. They are all chosen for egg production, good temperament, hardiness, ability to lay through hot summers and cold winters: Rhode Island Red (RIR), Delaware, Black Australorp, Buff Orpington, (Plymouth) Barred Rock, and Ameracauna. Note: the Ameracaunas lay a few less eggs, perhaps, but I chose these girls for their colored eggs. I find that they lay an egg every other day, but each of my two have taken sabbaticals on egg-laying which lasted weeks on end. None of my others have done this.

Commercial egg producers use the white leghorn chicken for large white eggs. These are nervous and flighty birds. While they are economical eaters, I don't find them to be pleasant to be around. Also, if you want to propagate chicks the natural way, know that leghorns have lost the instinct to lay on their own eggs, for the most part.

Of the breeds I own. I have to say that you can't go wrong with any as a dual-purpose breed. They are all large enough to be a meat bird, and they are all excellent egg layers (Ameracuanas excluded, though they can be great layers, they are more hit and miss). No one on this list can deny the superb utility of the breeds I have listed! My favorites happen to be the Australorps and Buff Orps. Exceedingly gentle, quiet, friendly birds! I also want to add this: Delawares are a tremendously good breed that often gets over-looked. They are excellent layers (large pinkish-brown eggs), and mine are the largest birds in my flock.

I don't eat my hens. Nothing against it, just not for me (my hens are my pets). But if you want meat birds, I don't think anything compares to the Cornish Cross chicken. Butcher the hens at 5-6 lbs live weight, which is 6- 8 weeks. The Roosters can be grown to 8-10 lbs live weight in 10-12 weeks. You use 21% protein feed with these birds. If you don't want meat birds specifically, then get one of the dual-purpose breeds I mentioned above.

My (hen) breeds were selected for all the reasons stated above...as well as one other (a minor point): coloring! My hens make a striking palette on the farm, and a carton of their eggs is a picture painting in and of itself! Dark browns, pink-browns, light browns, and blue-greens. I don't sell my eggs are the farmer's market, I trade them for other's goods. How can you say no to a beautiful box of eggs that look like the picture below? I ask you..how can you!? I can't hear you!!! Still can't hear you! Ah...that's better, correct...you can't say no!

All of my hens came from Ideal Hatchery in Texas.

I hope this helps. I think you'll find the breeds I suggested to be excellent. They are, in my opinion, the best overall breeds, period! :)

Brian

P1010579.jpg

Last edited:
i agree with brian that the barred rock, rhode island red and ameraucanas are good layers and meat birds. my neighbor had some orpingtons but predators got them before we could compare. there are some other good sites like pet chickens of virginia that you should check out

Back
Top Bottom