Old Wooden Playhouse Coop Conversion in Progress- Picture Heavy and more to come!

HouseMouseHens

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 31, 2012
Portland, Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
So we decided to get chicks a few weeks ago after months of discussing the idea, but had not really put too much thought yet into what kind of coop we wanted to make. I built the brooder box from two kitchen cabinets back to back, and the morning we went to pick up the first group of chicks, a quick glance at the free section provided this beauty:

It's a 10 year old 8ft x 8ft Wooden playhouse a Dad of one of the kids at this preschool a few towns away. The director decided that it was taking up too much space in the play yard, and listed it just ten minutes before I called about it. The thing weighs about a ton, and the woman was convinced that the only way to move it was in one piece using a crane. Well since I don't own a crane (hah!) we decided to take it apart and transport it that way. It took four of us most of a day to get it apart (with one terrifying moment when the roof came crashing down) and viola! Chicken coop in my backyard! Well... a pile of wood pieces that would hopefully be a coop anyways. After finding the playhouse, we decided that we wanted to build the whole thing from reclaimed materials, to save money and because we try to reuse most things we have anyways, so we took a trip down to The Rebuilding Center and bought about 500 linear feet of reclaimed wood (4x4, 2x4,, 2x6, 2x20, etc) for about $25. The most we've spent on this so far was a bit over $70 for welded wire fencing, post brackets, screws and some other small things that we had to buy new. We figured we'd have to buy those things new, as well as the plywood we'll need, but we plan on buying reclaimed materials or getting things on Craigslist. It's amazing the things people give away for free!!

So I am doing this pretty much by myself since I am off for the summer, and my husband works during the day, so the progress is fairly slow. The first thing I did was put the walls back together, and add a door and two small windows where the "window" holes were on the front.

Next I added 2x4 trim pieces to give the house more stability and make it look a little more finished in the end. The vertical ones will be cut to the proper length when we prepare to put the roof back on. Didn't want to cut them too short.

Then the other day after doing a lot of reading on this forum, I realized that my windows were not nearly sufficient enough in terms of allowing light into the coop, so I undid all the work I had done to put those small ones in and today added two windows I pulled from a 1920's house that was being demolished. The space to the left of the door is a bit smaller than to the right because the Dad who built the playhouse didn't center the door, and I was too lazy to build an entire new door frame just to eliminate a few inches difference. Being made from reclaimed materials, it's bound to be a little funky in places... it's part of the charm, right?

I have two more that will go on the east facing wall(to the right of the door) and one large one that may go on the back wall, but since there is only two feet of space between the back of the coop and the fence, I'm not sure if that window will be worth the effort. Luckily I am collecting windows for a Greenhouse Project (that my husband says I'm not allowed to start till the coop is finished), so I had them on hand already.
<--Only half the windows I have.. I know, I'm insane...

So now here we are today, front windows in, side windows ready to be put in, and still SO much work to be done. The 8ft x 14ft roofed run will be connected to the right side of the coop, and there is a pop door on that wall about two and a half feet up, so we'll have to build them a ramp. We plan to build a floor, two roost along the back wall with a giant poo board underneathe, and four nesting boxes on the west wall with outside access for easy egg collecting. There are two vents, a smaller one in the front (can be seen on the first picture of the playhouse at the peak of the roof), and a large one on the back wall in the same place. Will this be enough ventilation? We'll be putting gutters on both the coop and the roof of the run that drain into an old wine barrel for rainwater collection to water the hens with. It's going to be great when it's done I hope!

More pictures to come as we make more progress. :) Keep watching!

And any advice or thoughts or ideas are more than welcome. We are very new at this chicken thing, and this is the first big construction project I've taken on, so we're kinda winging it. Haha!

That's going to be a fabulous coop! I've been considering robbing the play house from my kids swingset since the only thing playing on it is weeds. I keep thinking it would be the cutest little house for my Silkies. It's amazing how I could look at any old piece of junk and think "that would be perfect for my chickens"! Can't wait to see more, good luck!!!!

Well here is a better picture of the new side windows in the daylight: The windows are a litter taller than the front ones, and they had to sit lower on the wall due to the slope of the roof. It looks a little weird now, but I suspect it'll be fine when the roof is on.

Here are the floor joists before I put the plywood down and then a shot of where it stands right now with half the floor in. The joist wood is from a deck we ripped out so it's not pretty, but still solid. We have a ton of cork flooring that we got free that were going to lay down on top of the plywood for the floor of the coop. I have to get the floor down and the plywood walls in before I can put the roof on so we don't have to rip every sheet in half to get it through the door since our door is less than 4ft tall(only by a few inches too!) Though, I am thinking I can't put the nesting boxes on until I figure out where the slope of the roof ends so I don't make them too high, so one wall will have to wait...

We decided not to do the higher false floor because we realized that it would actually make cleaning the coop harder because we wouldn't be able to walk into it the whole way.

It's WAY too hot to keep working, so here it sits until it cools off this evening.

Built the chicken ramp for the outside, re-framed the Pop door and added a new door and latch to it (reused the one of the tiny windows I had to redo earlier also!) after I gave up on doing the plywood for the floor by myself. I've actually never used plywood before, and I had no idea it is SO FLIPPEN HEAVY! I about died doing just the one piece I got done, and wasn't braving a second. Haha!
I have to seal the seam to the left of the pop door where I had to add a section of siding to the wall because I made the opening smaller. And keep in mind, this whole thing is going to be painted barn red and all the trim (and windows) will be white (our house is white with red trim) so it won't be as mismatched and ugly as it is now! Haha!

Your coop is looking great! Can't wait to see it all finished
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom