Older broiler hen with a bald butt

Could this be from squeezing through a small coop door? She is easily twice as wide as a normal hen, but I didn't think anything of it because she was getting in ok to lay her eggs. She doesn't like to roost (too big) and sleeps in a roofed sand box outside until the weather gets bad in winter, but has always trundled her self up to lay her eggs.

I actually think the 3 grain scratch is the no no. Do you know the protein content on it?

The scratch grains will have the calories but not the nutrients. Simply eliminating those SHOULD up your protein. Scratch grains are often about 8% protein (not sure about yours). So if added say 50/50 to layer that would bring your protein level down to 12% over all.

It's true that decreased protein levels fed early on to broiler breeds can increase their fertility and longevity via controlling their weight, in studies I read... That would be from the standard 25% protein feed fed during growing and still only down to like 20%, not the much lower 16% fed to light bodied layers. One guideline I use is this link (one misprint should say 15-17% instead of 5-17%)...
http://ucanr.edu/sites/poultry/files/186894.pdf

I get the concern that upping protein would cause her to fatten but I think if it's offset be the carbs decreased, which have the same amount of calories but more nutrients, that it *should* work out. :confused: But no, I wouldn't go all excess with the protein. My goal would be 18-20% like with all my dual purpose breeds. It's possible the lower protein helped her come along this far.. but seems like she would consume the same amount of calories regardless if the come from protein, fat, or carbs?? So getting max nutrients would be ideal over empty calories.

Anyplace that she may be rubbing the feathers off could cause it. If she is getting into/out of a nesting box that could be partly to blame as well. Even some of my good layers have a few broken from adjusting themselves in the nesting boxes - they go round and round like a dog making their nest - so the friction could eventually break the feathers.

All-in-all I think she looks pretty good considering her size and the breed that she is. You've done a good job taking care of her:)

Back
Top Bottom