Older Buttons

chickenreferee

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 2, 2012
Statesville, NC
Last week I brought home a pair of buttons. The lady told me they are 2 years old. I'm assuming they are a pair anyways- one is a male for sure, he has the traditional feather pattern. The other is solid white. They don't fight and seem pretty bonded to one another. They were separated out from another pen of buttons about 3 weeks ago.

I've read the Button Quail do's and don'ts but I still have a couple questions.

I realize they are flighty birds and will more than likely never really be relaxed enough to not hide when I feed and water, but I wondered if there is anything I can do that would make them feel more secure? Right now they are in my feed room, (with plenty of light during the day) in a 30" x 12" x 36"(high) cage. It's modified from an old ferret cage. With the cold weather setting in I am thinking about bringing them into the house so I don't have to run a heat lamp all winter. I have found a nice finch flight cage that I think would work nicely. If I bring them to my office, where I work at least 9-10 hours a day, will it stress them out even more?

Also, they were originally housed outdoors. Am I causing them more stress by not continuing that?

If the hen* is/does lay eggs, will they be in a nest area the birds create or just random places? Do they stop laying like chickens will as they grow older?

I know I probably sound crazy, but this is my first experience with any type of quail. I think next time I'm going to try coturnix as they sound much more personable and less stressful.

THanks for your help!

Last week I brought home a pair of buttons. The lady told me they are 2 years old. I'm assuming they are a pair anyways- one is a male for sure, he has the traditional feather pattern. The other is solid white. They don't fight and seem pretty bonded to one another. They were separated out from another pen of buttons about 3 weeks ago.

I've read the Button Quail do's and don'ts but I still have a couple questions.

I realize they are flighty birds and will more than likely never really be relaxed enough to not hide when I feed and water, but I wondered if there is anything I can do that would make them feel more secure? Right now they are in my feed room, (with plenty of light during the day) in a 30" x 12" x 36"(high) cage. It's modified from an old ferret cage.  With the cold weather setting in I am thinking about bringing them into the house so I don't have to run a heat lamp all winter. I have found a nice finch flight cage that I think would work nicely. If I bring them to my office, where I work at least 9-10 hours a day, will it stress them out even more?Sit close to the cage and they will get used to you faster also they will associate you with their food really fast so they will not stay hidden from you when you goto the cage. mine are nervous when I clean the cage but they settle right back down after I am through

Also, they were originally housed outdoors. Am I causing them more stress by not continuing that? I would keep them indoors they like it between 75-85 so inside is best

If the hen* is/does lay eggs, will they be in a nest area the birds create or just random places?random laying but will gather them if left to do so Do they stop laying like chickens will as they grow older? it depends on the amount to light they recieve 12-14 hours a day they will continue to lay, I am letting mine go with out artificial lighting and she is still laying

I know I probably sound crazy, but this is my first experience with any type of quail. I think next time I'm going to try coturnix as they sound much more personable and less stressful. Not any crazier then the rest of us! Welcome to quail!

THanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom