olive egger chicks

texasmomma

Songster
Apr 5, 2010
TX
I have 1 bielefelder roo and two bielefelder X cream legbar roos. I also have bielefelder and bielefelder x cream legbar hens. Some of them lay green eggs and a couple lay brown eggs. I recently hatched some chicks. On one of them, I had a chick come out of a green egg. I think it's a male, but I'm not sure.

Since it came out of a green egg, it has a mother than is a bielefelder over cream legbar. Father could be straight biele or bielefelder over cream legbar.

As an aside, I need some diversity and I'm not sure how to get it. The bieles are all siblings. I *think* they are from the 2011 import from Greenfire, but I'm in Texas and I cannot find anybody who has bielefelders who is hatching from the 2013 or the 2015 imports. I am super happy with the bielefelder over cream legbar crosses. They are a great chicken and withstand the heat better than the straight bielefelders.

So, what do you think? Male or female?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you're asking?

Bies (not typing out the full name each time
wink.png
) lay regular brown eggs.

A Bie crossed with a Legbar should all lay green eggs. Brown x blue = green.

Green x brown = either green or brown.

To get the true dark olive shade, you need a dark brown egg layer like a Welsummer or Marans, etc.

Then again, I've seen lots of folks cheerfully showing off their "olive" eggs that are just plain green to me
idunno.gif

If you were asking about gender, I do believe that is a male chick.

I'm not sure what you're asking?

Bies (not typing out the full name each time
wink.png
) lay regular brown eggs.

A Bie crossed with a Legbar should all lay green eggs. Brown x blue = green.

Green x brown = either green or brown.

To get the true dark olive shade, you need a dark brown egg layer like a Welsummer or Marans, etc.

Then again, I've seen lots of folks cheerfully showing off their "olive" eggs that are just plain green to me
idunno.gif

If you were asking about gender, I do believe that is a male chick.

I get pretty dark eggs out of my bieles. They are definitely not dark like a marans, but some of them are darker than anything else I've ever had. Definitely darker than a RIR, etc. I get a pretty green egg, sometimes leaning to olive, and hope to get a more olive egg at some point.

I meant to ask about gender. I'm pretty sure this is a male, but just wanting to get some other opinions.

Back
Top Bottom