Olive egger egg colors

bigz1983

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 9, 2016
Michigan
I have a co-worker that bought 2 Olive egger chicks at TSC.
1 died and the other made it to laying age last fall.
My co-worker says it lays brown eggs and he's disappointed.
I have never had olive eggers before what are the chances they lay brown eggs instead of green?

Depends what the two birds where that produced it.
I think a lot of times if its from an individual its a 50/50 chance.
Lots of people use EEs crossed with a Marans. Lots of EEs only carry one gene for blue shells. With the Marans carrying none and the EE carrying one its a 50% chance that the offspring would not get the blue shell gene.

Depends what the two birds where that produced it.
I think a lot of times if its from an individual its a 50/50 chance.
Lots of people use EEs crossed with a Marans. Lots of EEs only carry one gene for blue shells. With the Marans carrying none and the EE carrying one its a 50% chance that the offspring would not get the blue shell gene.
Well my co-worker got the Olive egger chicks from Tractor Supply and I believe they get their chicks through Hoover hatchery.
Must be Hoover doesn't use pure bred Amerucana over Dark brown layer?
Ok so we have a pure bred Blue Amerucana rooster and Spanish Penedesenca hens they lay dark brown eggs.
That cross should most likely lay olive green right?

Yes your cross would.
Just my opinion but Hoover's has little sense when it comes to any breeding. Also doubt they have anything other then EEs so ya they'd be producing a good number of brown egg laying OEs.

It relates to tsc type places & hatcheries marketing a mixed breed chicken with random genetics and call them ameraucanas. Then they take their "ameraucanas" that are not ameraucanas and breed them with a brown egg layer and just market them as olive eggers. Another words they lie and or misrepresent what they are selling.
Like how they sell rainbow layers. Most likely all you'll get is brown or creme egg layers.
Then you have the issue of people filling the bins and have no idea what chicks are what so even the sign for what breed may be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom