Olive Egger, pullet or cockerel?

LongRanch

Chirping
Apr 17, 2016
This is Freda, she is just over 6 weeks old and is an ameraucana X maran. We were absolutely sure that she was a pullet up until about two days ago. Her comb is sooo much smaller than her brother from the same hatch, and it was always pale, and then about two days ago it started to get darker and it has even grown a bit. She was always so mild mannered and would avoid the cockerels, who would pick on her... Now she tries to spar with them. :( She had a growth spurt and towers over the boys now. I am going to be sooo disappointed if she is a cockerel because of the 6 chicks I bought, 4 of them are cockerels... She would make number 5.... What do you think? I have attached photos of her, and a few of our cockerel from the same hatch.

(PS don't mind how gross it looks in their run -- it has poured rain for three days so I know it looks yucky but that's why!)

Splash, our lovely cockerel (who will be finding a new home, along with the other cockerels as I can't have roosters! :( )

I would wait it out a bit longer. I think you've got a pullet, but the next few weeks should give you more indication.

Your Olive Egger has a pea comb vs. the Marans single comb which explains why it is so much smaller than the others...it is a different type altogether.

But as a pea comb, it has one main row of peas, with 2 smaller hedge rows, vs. 3 full rows, which typically indicates female. It's a bit pinker than I would like at 6 weeks of age, but I've had pea combed girls blush up early and then not develop further until point of lay. Often they will get pinker with excitement then paler as they settle. (Your reddish gold bird is all pullet).

So I would wait it out, which can be frustrating. If it is male, that comb will continue to get fleshy and red and likely develop 3 full rows. You might not feel certain until 12 to 14 weeks as sometimes those pea combs take awhile to develop (sorry). Color patterning won't help as it is a black bird, but if red or brick colored bars come in at the wings, it will be male.

I agree your blue Marans are roosters with those large red combs...Marans telecast early.

Didn't even notice the run....looks like my Oregon mud 80% of the year.

LofMc

PS: Nice dog in the avatar.

Thank you! This gives me a bit of hope. I'll keep an eye on her!

Re my avatar, thanks, yes that is a Belgian shepherd. I breed and show them. :)

Here are some updated photos. She may also be a little older than 6.5 weeks, the breeder couldn't remember exactly; When I bought her she said she thinks they were 1 week.

Updated photos, she is now 7 weeks old. I have noticed that the only time her comb is red is when she is up and running around. When she settles, it becomes pale. Good sign???

Back
Top Bottom