Oliver Eggers stopped laying green eggs

Right egg is a brown with a bloom thats all...
Right egg, wettened. (Left is the brown)
20201104_222618.jpg
Wettened brown egg with bloom. I get tons of these pink/plum eggs. This is a different hens egg for example.
20210210_144106.jpg

I have an EE that lays beautiful blue eggs... or did for 18months. She molted big time this summer and hasn't laid a blue egg since. She has just started to lay one or two 'tanish' eggs per week. Anybody else see a difference after molt?

Did you actually see her physically lay a tan egg? As unlikely as it is to go from green to tan, it's even more unlikely to go from blue to tan; that would mean not only did the shell color change, but the outer coating of the egg changed. The most likely reasoning here is that she's not actually laying again and someone else is producing the tan eggs.

Same hen. Tracked her laying with blue food dye when she was younger.
Not gonna argue. View attachment 3724171It's possible if they stop producing the blue pigment for some reason.
Right egg, wettened. (Left is the brown)View attachment 3724430Wettened brown egg with bloom. I get tons of these pink/plum eggs. This is a different hens egg for example. View attachment 3724433

Except, as I mentioned before, the dye test is very prone to failure. The dye is easily transferred from one egg to another by the hen or other hens moving around in the nest. It does not in any way offer definitive evidence of who is laying which egg. Look at the size difference in those eggs. The shape difference. Speckled versus no speckles at all. Look at the texture of the shell. The layering of the bloom. Any reasonable person would look at all of this evidence stacking up and, rather than digging their heels in about it, would think maybe, just maybe, instead of a hen just randomly and abruptly deciding to change every single little detail about the eggs she lays one day, maybe this test that is prone to failing and giving false results... failed and gave you a false result. 🤯

More importantly, I don't understand why y'all feel the need to keep arguing this on someone else's thread. The poor OP came here with a question and neither of y'all have even answered anything for them and instead just keep causing them and others more confusion. If y'all really want to argue about whether this hen just up and changed everything about her eggs one day, maybe make your own thread to argue about it. The OP's question was answered, the birds referred to in said question didn't change egg color after all, case closed. Move on. :idunno

I have an EE who started out laying beautiful blue eggs, a couple per week for a couple of months, then stopped laying for 3 months. When she started up again, her eggs were cream, almost white. Yes, it does happen. I have sat & watched her lay these pale eggs myself to co firm it was her. Even after a hard molt, she started laying agin with the pale cream eggs. It has to be a defect in breeding some of these colored egg layers because I have seen similar stories in my chicken groups online, always with an EE or OE.

Back
Top Bottom