OMGosh ~ Found my guinea hen on about 30 eggs!!! No roo

Chicks_N_Horses

Songster
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
South Alabama
I found my only guinea sitting on about 30 eggs a few minutes ago.

Can I get her real ones to sit on and she will hatch them out and raise them like a broody hen?????

Guineas are terrible mothers. They are very protective, but very dumb. They'll take the babies into the tall, wet grass and the babies will get sick and die.

If you put her in a pen with the eggs/keets, she would be the best mama. If that's not an option, then I would just take the eggs away.

Quote:
She might. Be very, very careful about doing so, she may abandon the nest if she thinks it's been tampered with. You might look up how exactly is the best way to do so, I've never done it myself (I can't even find my guinea nests
lol.png
).

And I agree, lock her up!!!! Don't let her out with those babies!

Mine have never been successful, and quite honestly, I have lost a hen every time they try to sit on an unprotected nest (you are very lucky to have found the nest). Unless you can pen her up with the nest, or find a way to secure it completely from predators, I would take the eggs away. Maybe you can get a broody hen to hatch them?

Even if she does mangage to hatch them, as shelleyd2008
stated, they are terrible mothers, and most likely very few, if any, of the keets will survive unless penned in a secure area.

Back
Top Bottom