Omlet coop light questions

Rafter9G

Hatching
Jun 9, 2022
We are new chicken owners. We have about 50 barred rock and Wyandotte’s 7 week olds. My husband installed the Omlet coop door with light. We live where it can get down to -30 to -40 actual temps so he wanted the power cord as batteries would drain quickly. I noticed last night the coop light says not to use with the power adapter. Oops. We’ve been using it for a week hooked to the power cord. Why can’t it be used with power? Should I unplug the power cord and use battery only until it gets cold again? It does have batteries in it now also.

My daughter noticed the coop light was on dimly when we made sure everyone got in for the night last night. (An hour after the doors closed, so the light should have been off). I am only on night 2 of using the time function as they weren’t all going in at night before. I did it manually until they learned to go in at night.

:welcome and good luck with your chickens! I hope someone who knows suck things will come along and answer your question.

I think it's because the power is the wrong voltage. I've been researching these for awhile as I have waited for the day to come when I could have chickens.

I would stick with batteries otherwise you risk damaging the unit.

It may be why the light is on dimly (it should be on or off).

Are you concerned the batteries will not survive in the cold? Do you have the auto door too?

I think it's because the power is the wrong voltage. I've been researching these for awhile as I have waited for the day to come when I could have chickens.

I would stick with batteries otherwise you risk damaging the unit.

It may be why the light is on dimly (it should be on or off).

Are you concerned the batteries will not survive in the cold? Do you have the auto door too?
Yes, I do have the auto door also. And yes, to the batteries and the cold. It gets -30’s plus actual temps here in winter. Batteries just dont last. (We have trail cams around our property and batteries go quickly In the cold)

If it's warm enough now I'd see if the light is working as it should be with batteries, if it is maybe use those until it gets cold.

I didn't realise you could run the door of mains either.

-30 must be pretty nippy!

Hello Everyone. I have the Omlet Automatic Coop Door and Light. Does anyone know how to have the coop light go on earlier than the 5 minutes before the coop door closes? My two young hens have been staying out a little longer each day before it gets really dark and have been getting "locked" out of the coop. I have changed the setting of the coop door to "time" now instead of the light sensor. Hoping that helps.

I dont think there is a way to change the light setting. I quit using the light as mine go in without needing it, and they seem to settle down faster when there's no light. Less squabbling. I use the time setting for open/close, and adjust it when there's frequent missed curfews at night.

Back
Top Bottom