Chick chirping at night

Chick2212

In the Brooder
May 6, 2024
I have 4 chicks, 3 are black and 1 is yellow. The chicks are around 2 months old and I let them stay outside in a safe place at night. I let them go outside a few days ago. Every night the yellow chick chirps but the other chicks are quiet. When I put them in the place they sleep, she stops chirping. Is she just used to being inside and wants to call me to get them up or is there another cause?

I have 4 chicks, 3 are black and 1 is yellow. The chicks are around 2 months old and I let them stay outside in a safe place at night. I let them go outside a few days ago. Every night the yellow chick chirps but the other chicks are quiet. When I put them in the place they sleep, she stops chirping. Is she just used to being inside and wants to call me to get them up or is there another cause?
What kind of chirping is it? Is it loud and insistent, indicating fear and confusion, or is it soft and communicative?

Chickens hate change, but they'll get used to it.
What is this safe place they're in?
it is outside next to the hen's chicken coop. The safe place is a small box like coop made of wood and there is a door that I can close and lock. Her chirping is loud, and it sounds like she is scared.

Yeah, it's fairly normal. Some tend to whine if they are coming off a heat lamp that provided night time illumination, or any other source of light like from your house. Some of my breeds never have whiny chicks, amusingly there were two breeds where they all whined (Mosaic and WFBS) every single night for weeks. That was even while they were still in the brooder but just getting used to lights out at night. Eventually they settle down to sleep, and after some time they get used to the routine. But they complained so much it was actually upsetting the adults and their bedtime routine.

Back
Top Bottom