Hen Randomly Chasing Own Chicks

I'm thinking that she thinks that see taught them everything they need to know about how to chickens - what to eat, drink, and how to find it - and she is ready to join the flock and act normally again. Not being a broody, mother hen that doesn't join the flock on their random day to day adventures away from the coop and surrounding area.
I other words, in her eyes, the chicks are old enough to be with out her and she is kicking them off - kind of like a mother deer or other kind of herd animal ready to have a batch of babies. And she possibly could be planning on going broody again after the worst of winter.
How long has she been doing this??? Just today, or has been for awhile now?? She could be keeping them from eating the food that she felt the rooster was showing her - not the chicks. It could be a problem over food but I'm more thinking the first thought that I had. She feels that they are old enough to fend for themselves.

I'm thinking that she thinks that see taught them everything they need to know about how to chickens - what to eat, drink, and how to find it - and she is ready to join the flock and act normally again. Not being a broody, mother hen that doesn't join the flock on their random day to day adventures away from the coop and surrounding area.
I other words, in her eyes, the chicks are old enough to be with out her and she is kicking them off - kind of like a mother deer or other kind of herd animal ready to have a batch of babies. And she possibly could be planning on going broody again after the worst of winter.
How long has she been doing this??? Just today, or has been for awhile now?? She could be keeping them from eating the food that she felt the rooster was showing her - not the chicks. It could be a problem over food but I'm more thinking the first thought that I had. She feels that they are old enough to fend for themselves.
Just that day she started doing it! It was her first batch of babies. For a chicken that went broody a week after starting to lay eggs entirely, she didn’t do half-bad with this bunch. Just wished she didn’t make me have to put 13 chicks in a 4ft x 2ft brooder.

Back
Top Bottom