On average for buff orpingtons egg laying

aligarysmom

Songster
Mar 14, 2018
Oregon
I’m curious to get some statistics on owners of these birds, when did they first start laying eggs? I’m asking because I think mine are getting close. I have a large group of arborvitae and just opened up their laying boxes and don’t want to discover eggs in the bushes.

I wondered because a girl friend has them and they started laying at 16 weeks. I know what the literature says I’m not interested in that. Want actual owners to weigh in, please.

I’m confused. Do you have orpingtons? When did YOURS start laying ? I am aware as stated before what the literature says. Maybe I should have said or videos based on literature.

I have 1 buff (had 3 at one time) and she started laying at around 20 weeks. I also have an arborvitae hedge and they will lay in there sometimes - though I think my EE is the one who does that the most.

I’m really wondering because I’m debating on running and cooping them in when it gets closer for sure to get them to lay their eggs in their nests rather than the bushes and then once that’s eatabliahed letting them range again. Probably won’t stop them laying in the bushes but could limit it

I’m really wondering because I’m debating on running and cooping them in when it gets closer for sure to get them to lay their eggs in their nests rather than the bushes and then once that’s eatabliahed letting them range again. Probably won’t stop them laying in the bushes but could limit it
It will definitely help.....and not a bad idea to get free range birds used to be confined on occasion.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Here's some tips on telling...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/ ...applies to all breeds.

I have two buffs as well. My neighbor has raised lots of chickens and currently has 4 buff orps. She had told me her current ones startes laying later, around 25 weeks, but she has had some start at 20 weeks before.

Great. Thank you for the input. I have taken down the block and allowed them
Access. They are still roosting at night. We will see if they start laying in them when they do. My concern is that they will begin laying in the bushes and I won’t know until.....

I don’t think they are ready yet. Only one is red in the face. The rest are still pretty pale.

Back
Top Bottom