On-going eye condition in Silky

carolecph

Hatching
Nov 12, 2023
Sissi has had solid white eye discharge in one eye since she was a year old. She is 9 now. My vet has tried all known antibiotic treatments to no avail, and has no idea what the problem is. So, I have been cleaning her eye twice a day for the last 8 years. Recently it has got worse, and I know she has lost her eye. I remove the solid stuff and apply a gel. It doesn't worry her in the slightest (although she hates me now for gouging out her eye to clean it and runs when she sees me!). But does anyone have an idea what could be wrong? I thoughy maybe eye worm.. but she doesn't scratch her eye at all, and my other hen, Henny 11 years old, has never been affected. Appreciate any ideas.

With some respiratory diseases or getting something in the eye which can cause a bacterial eye infection can cause a white layer of pus (plaque) that can harden over the eye. I would guess that an eye infection or peck wound got infected. Someone posted about a small burr getting under their chicken’s third eyelid and caused a large pus filled infection. Do you have any pictures of her eye? It sounds like you have gone to a lot of trouble to clean it. Usually an eye wash or saline to flush the eye, and Terramycin or other antibiotic eye ointment is how I would treat that. But once scar tissue occurs, it is probably not going to help or restore her eye sight.

With some respiratory diseases or getting something in the eye which can cause a bacterial eye infection can cause a white layer of pus (plaque) that can harden over the eye. I would guess that an eye infection or peck wound got infected. Someone posted about a small burr getting under their chicken’s third eyelid and caused a large pus filled infection. Do you have any pictures of her eye? It sounds like you have gone to a lot of trouble to clean it. Usually an eye wash or saline to flush the eye, and Terramycin or other antibiotic eye ointment is how I would treat that. But once scar tissue occurs, it is probably not going to help or restore her eye sight.
peck wound no, she only has one best friend and they are really close (really cute actually). Respiratory disease, well this has been going on for 8 years now, so I guess not. She really is fine apart from the eye. leads a normal hen life, running round the garden pecking at things.. I have tried Terramycin, doesn't change anything. I flush her her eye with OCRYGEL twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom