On Quail and Pheasant...

CTChickenMom

Songster
11 Years
Jan 5, 2009
SE Connecticut
I'm not sure this is the right place but here goes....
My plan is to add poultry/game to my freezer but I have no experience with game. I have processed before and the hubby is going to build a plucker. My question is on quail. Is the processing different? I seem to remember something about not plucking them, that as small as they are, folks tend to just skin them. Is the meat worth the effort, as small as they are? I think the little eggs would be great for hard boiling and pickling. I'd like to have birds that will breed and raise their own and I can process on an as need basis. Is there a good how-to on raising them. Same goes for pheasant. What can you tell me?

On quail I just keep the breast and wings or just take of the skin and all, just like how when you hunt em.
I know this may sound like a silly question but with as small as they are, do you ever regret starting with them? I watched one video that said their feed is pretty expensive compared to other feeds. I want the investment to be worth it. I've actually hunted quail. Around where I live, the preferred small wild fowl are pheasant.

They are not worth it for just meat in my opinion. They are just meat if I have to many males. I mainly raise them for eggs and chicks.

Back
Top Bottom