On the nature of a Lion and other such creatures

TM Chickens

Songster
11 Years
Mar 3, 2008
Alabama
As some of you might already know, Apple gave a peak yesterday into their new operating system, OS X Lion. Summary of the new stuff. It's looking pretty awesome. (Take that, Microsoft!)

However, as I was scanning the impressive list of new features...

* Overlay scrollbars
* App store
* Mission Control
* Simpler app launcher
* Conversation threads in Mail 5
* iCloud file sync
* Full-screen apps

... I couldn't help but notice something. All of this stuff sounded familiar!

Ubuntu got overlay scrollbars a few months ago. We've had the Ubuntu Software Centre since April 2009. And this looks mighty similar to Mission Control, no? And as for a better app launcher... The default email client in Ubuntu has had conversation threads for a while now. The iCloud file sync is pretty much a duplicate of Ubuntu One, which was introduced in Ubuntu over a year ago. And full-screen apps? Ubuntu has had those ever since the beginning.

Simply put, Ubuntu is the best, most advanced operating system around. Try it out today!
wink.png

yer just figuring out apple is basing their OS on ubuntu lol
wink.png

The new Chrome Netbooks (google os) is based on debian ubuntu also... so are many smart devices

Linux for life
wink.png
Cept when you have to run microsoft products that wine doesn't like
hide.gif

Quote:
Microsoft's father was bloat and it's mother smelt of NIH syndrome (NIH == not invented here). I throw Apples in its general direction! I collect it into CUPS and smash it with a ton of Chrome! I send it on a Safari to be eaten by the Firefoxes!

ORfHaBTxRkmZ7HMZQZtxgQ

Oh well, as long as he didn't work on the IE team I forgive you.
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
*Sings to the tune of I like molasses* "That's why I like web apps best of all! Best of all!"

Last edited:
Quote:
What operating system is that? I personally am a fan of microsoft and all pc things out there. MAC would be nice but they feel as if there merchandise is worth more than it actually is. But i am a gamer and the mac life is not the life for me.

Quote:
Microsoft's father was bloat and it's mother smelt of NIH syndrome (NIH == not invented here). I throw Apples in its general direction! I collect it into CUPS and smash it with a ton of Chrome! I send it on a Safari to be eaten by the Firefoxes!

lau.gif

Quote:
What operating system is that? I personally am a fan of microsoft and all pc things out there. MAC would be nice but they feel as if there merchandise is worth more than it actually is. But i am a gamer and the mac life is not the life for me.

Looks like Ubuntu to my somewhat educated eye.

I like Lubuntu better than Kubuntu (the ultimate slow Linux thingummy, as far as I can tell), but Ubuntu is okay too.
old.gif

...Maybe someday I'll use something a bit less mouse clicky, but not yet.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom