On what day do they usually start to pip

That depends. My Japanese bantams and other bantams pip on day 19 or 20 sometimes.
smile.png

If temps are higher than usual, the eggs will pip and hatch earlier. If temps are lower than usual, it will take longer. Normally a chick should pip on days 19-21, but it can vary. Higher temps could cause them to pip at around day 18, and lower temps can cause them to pip at like day 22 or even 25. If some are late, candle and see if they have pipped the air bubble. You might even(but I'm definitely NOT recommending this) make a small hole in the top(where air bubble is) and look for signs of movement, chirping, etc. if they haven't hatched by day 25 or 26. It's not always good to try and interfere, but it could save a baby chick's life because some are stuck because of too low humidity and they die from not enough oxygen. But if you help them out in time, it can save them.
But anyway, with temps steady at 99-100*F and humidity at the right %, you should start seeing pips by day 19-21
wink.png

Good luck!
big_smile.png

I'm on day 20 and no pips, no rocking
when I last candled before the enforced incubator closure period.... I had live chicks in there so hopeful I will see them soon
I expect them to break into the air cell tonight or early tomorrow and start peeping at me
don't know when I might see rocking, they might all be in position already as they have been in egg cartons the whole time.
I expect pips at 7:30am tomorrow which is the official Day 21.
big_smile.png

Ok, I have no idea, they chickens have taken over and they aren't telling.

I have 2 eggs on day 21. one pipped on 19 and then hatched on 20.. i'm still waiting on one egg..
I'm hoping its all well and that he/she's just having a lie in.

big_smile.png

Thanks for the info, I am hoping for tomorrow to see some sign of whats happening. We are going on a trip tomorrow for most of the day, and that is probably a good thing or I would drive myself crazy.

Wondering exactly how the days are counted?

say you put them in at 12 noon. is that day 1 or is the next day at noon... day 1 since they have been incubating for 24 hrs at that point ... therefore "one day" has been completed.
?

depends on your incubation conditions. If your temps were slightly hotter than they should be, they can pip a day early, sometimes two. If they were a little cooler than they are supposed to be they could pip a day late, or sometimes two. It also depends on the breed, and other environmental conditions, so basically its a toss up either way you go.

Back
Top Bottom