Once and for all Coon Deterrents PLEASE

Pics
Rabies kills dogs, cats, and ferrets within a week or ten days of the infected animal being contagious. Actually, the poor critter might be alive, but very ill. Other species can be contagious much longer, and assuming that any individual raccoon or skunk, for example, is safe, is foolish.
Mary

How do you prevent cats (in particular MY wonderful and chicken-friendly cat) from getting caught in a live-trap? I'm guessing that he wouldn't really "go for" marshmallows, but he's a pretty curious creature and I wouldn't be surprised to find him in there! I suppose that would probably only happen once, though!

Most cats will only trap once, although some idiots may fall for yummy cat food more often. It's just a matter of letting them out, if it's your cat. Or doing the vet trip if it's some other kitty.
Marshmallows and grains are unlikely to trap any cats.
Mary

Prob not rabid tho. Rabbies kills in days Utube it u will see its pretty distinctive.

I guess u didnt read the part about being in long island... NY aint a fly over state where u shoot shovel. U shoot a gun in LI your going to jail. Simple.

Use a double fencing system, its best. That's why prisons, military bases everywhere that needs security uses two fences.

Alternatively if u dont want to spend a lot of $$ you could just go buy a trap set it next to your hen house put some bait in there and just continually have a trap that will be an easier target then the hens... now what to do with the animal when you have a trapped that's entirely up to you.

You can also put a mets jersey in the cage once they see the hens are mets fans they will realize its not even worth there time!!! :lau

LOVED the Mets comments!! Especially because we bleed blue in this house!! ;)

You can get products at TSC, but for good advice, and excellent products (the light weight things, not fence posts!) check out premier1supplies.com. I like their rope, and incidentals like the post attachments and stuff. Also the chargers!
Mary

I think I'm going the electric fence route. I just found HotShock 5 Energizer online but understand about 40% of what it says. Is it easy to install? Will my kids (or myself) get electrocuted when they tend to chickens (let out in AM/lock up in PM, etc). Do we activate it only at night, and unplug in AM? So many questions...

Call premier! Get the catalog! It's not hard to install and use, but done wrong, won't work well.
Electric off is useless, have it on all the time. Have the charger on a surge protector too.
Everyone touches a good fence ONCE, and then learns avoidance! Toddlers touching a hot fence with their head is a bad thing, but older children will learn not to be stupid very fast.
If it's on intermittently, everyone gets careless!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom