Once and for all...Temp for hatching which is right?

Roxannemc

Songster
7 Years
Mar 30, 2012
SE Missouri
I have been reading all i can about hatching eggs but i am confused as to the temp i should set the bator at. I have read 100 degrees, 89 degrees, 98 degrees .What is the RIGHT temp for a sucessful hatch.
My chicks are coming in about 1- 2 days.
Right this minute the temp is 97.9 in the bator.
Oh and these are chicken eggs
Thanks for any help

Last edited:
I beleive it is acc. to your bator. I have a 1588 hovabator and they suggest 100 degrees. I used it with a turnner and had over 80% hatch. What kind of Bator do you have? 99.5% seems really low to me. A hens temp drops to 98+ when they go broody but I would not try it that low. I had a better hatch from the same batch of eggs in my bator than under my hen. Hatching is a practicing art. You learn your bator as you go along. If temp is a little to low the eggs will be late to hatch, if to hot they will come early but either way there is a chance of deformities, to high or to low. Good luck with your hatch. Gloria jean

I beleive it is acc. to your bator. I have a 1588 hovabator and they suggest 100 degrees. I used it with a turnner and had over 80% hatch. What kind of Bator do you have? 99.5% seems really low to me. A hens temp drops to 98+ when they go broody but I would not try it that low. I had a better hatch from the same batch of eggs in my bator than under my hen. Hatching is a practicing art. You learn your bator as you go along. If temp is a little to low the eggs will be late to hatch, if to hot they will come early but either way there is a chance of deformities, to high or to low. Good luck with your hatch. Gloria jean

if it is a still air incu 101, other with fan 99.5

I use a Genesis 1588 Hovabator, as well, with a fan and the "factory setting" is 99.5 F; which held steady throughout days 1-18, and may have increased, slightly, to about 100 F, during lockdown, according to the mercury thermometer that came with the bator. Now, my digital thermometer/hygrometer recorded the temp at, between 100 to 100.4, at the highest (during lockdown and increased humidity...). Keep in mind that 99.5 vs. 100 F is only half of a degree difference... At 99.5/100 F, both eggs that I locked down on day 18 (3/8 never even developed, at all and the other 3/8 quit well before lockdown) hatched beautifully on day 21 - within 1-2 hours of the exact time that I set them!

Back
Top Bottom