One chick hatched two days ago and mama hen is still sitting on 8 eggs

chickney

In the Brooder
7 Years
We had one successful hatch (3 still borns-because mama accidentally crushed them) two days ago. The clutch is comprised of not one single chicken. There are brown and green eggs in it. We had guessed when we closed off the mom that the chicks would not be hatching for another week from when they hatched. Mama still spends most of her day on the nest, but has been off eggs for a few hours at a time to play with her alive chick. My one friend told me our eggsif not placed in an incubator would all die. But I have been reading some stories of hens having chicks through a longer window. Does anyone have any experience with this? I was thinking of waiting another week and then maybe taking action. I just feel like if the eggs are dead the mama would know. Im including an adorable photo of the chick a

nd mama.

Yes, the eggs will all die if they haven't already. If mom is leaving a few hours at a time they got cold and very possibly died then. Hens can hatch eggs over a window of a few days IF they stay on the nest the whole time. Check for a rotten smell on any of the eggs and throw away any that have one if they do.

Cute hen and chick.
smile.png

Ive been reading other experiences from people. The hen only gets up during the heat of the day, I would think they can tell if they have dead eggs. I guess im optimistic, ill check smells and maybe wait another week before disposing the eggs. Thank you!

Last edited:
From my experience, broodies cannot tell if their eggs are no longer viable. Not sure if its possible, but if you could get another couple of chicks to add to the one that you have, it would be better than raising a lone chick - it will feel isolated as it grows up.

CT

Back
Top Bottom