One chick not growing

Mechanic1987

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Anniston, Ala.
I hope someone can help me; We have 5 RiR that we have had for 2 weeks, they have trippled in size. We also have four Brown Leghorns that we got 3 days later. The brown legghorns are growing at a slower rate but one is not much bigger than when we got her. we have 3 white rocks that we got a week ago and they have passed the little brown leghorn, but not by much. The 5 RIR are in brooder by themselves and the leghorns and the white rocks are together. Should I try and place the smallest Leghorn by herself for a while or let them stay together. She does not appear to be feeble, when we let them out she is just as active as the rest. what should I do? Or is she OK?
Thank you
Ray

Last edited:
If she is a young chick-check for pasty butt. If she has dried hard stuff on her rear under her tail, you will need to remove it by soaking in warm water to slowly remove the dried on waste.

I have a barred rock chick that was developing slower and found her to have a blocked "pooper". Cleaned her up and she is gaining weight and size.

The "pasty butt" will "stop" them up and prevent them from eating normally because they can't void the food due to the hard pasty stuff stuck to their rear.

Just a thought-something you may want to check out.
Best wishes

i had the same thing happen to me last year. that one chick survived but she is still much smaller than the other hens and she has an "S" shaped spine. she also has some odd behaviors like walking backwards and hunched over all of the time. i kept her with the other birds the whole time from baby chick till today, for fear that the other birds would treat her worse if she were isolated and then brought in as a newbie.

Freebie,
She appears to be fine she is eating and drinking and running around the brooder. She must be a slow grower, her other "sisters" are growing very well. I will continue to watch her, she is not being isolated or abused by the others. They appear to be treating her normally. I will keep eveyone posted on her progress. Thanks for checking.

Ray

Just to let you know; she is a batam. This Saturday they will be 6 weeks and she is still smaller but in great health. All of them are doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom