One duck wanders far from flock

kej3511

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 24, 2014
I recently picked up two ducks to add to the rest if my flock about a month ago. The one new duck likes to wander a lot away from the rest of the flock. She will probably wander around a 100' from the rest of the gang. Is she not happy? Not sure why she would be so bold to leave everyone?
The flock tends to follow her too and she will take them a good 250' from the coop in the middle of the woods. They never use to venture off they far.

Any suggestions or advice?

I'm worried something's going to happen to her.

Thanks!

Don't know what kind of ducks you have, but not all ducks stick together. My pekins are stuck like glue to each other—you see one, you see five. The muscovies wander about one at time, two or three together and on rare occasions, you see five together. It's very common to have to hunt for one or two of the muscovies to get them into the pen at night. This was a big change from the Rouens and the Pekins. The breeder I bought them from had several species of ducks and many were wandering about alone. As long as the flock isn't harming the wanderer, it may just be that the duck is a loner.

As for keeping him/he closer to your coop, all I know that works is fencing. I have five acres and if I don't fence off an area, the ducks roam at least 2 1/2 acres. Unless I fence them out/in, they go where they want.

Back
Top Bottom