One egg and then silence...

Freerange Chick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 27, 2014
Holden, Missouri

I'm new here and have a question. I have 20 hens all 7 months old but a variety. They also free range. One hen, a black sex link, laid an egg 5 days ago. We knew who and when because we were painting the chicken house when she did it. She didn't lay in the new nest boxes but on top of a hay bale. We had noticed a nest made there several days before. I've been reading a lot and had watched video's of chickens egg laying songs, but she didn't do this. She just quietly sat on her nest while we were on the other side of the wall painting. Of course we check the hen house everyday hoping for more eggs. Our dominant rooster has been having his way with the ladies for the past several weeks. We have looked around in the woods were they hang out but have found no eggs. Should I keep them in the fenced area for a couple of days to see if that helps? I have 9 nesting boxes 12x12x14 and have put wooden eggs in them hoping this would help. Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, it wouldn't hurt to keep them in the run for a few days, even if just to satisfy yourself that they aren't hiding eggs on you. Also, when a chicken is new to the egg laying experience, that first egg or two can "fall out" before they know what's going on. Best to have that happen "close to home" so they don't get the idea that eggs should be put under the rose bushes!

Yes, it wouldn't hurt to keep them in the run for a few days, even if just to satisfy yourself that they aren't hiding eggs on you. Also, when a chicken is new to the egg laying experience, that first egg or two can "fall out" before they know what's going on. Best to have that happen "close to home" so they don't get the idea that eggs should be put under the rose bushes!
Thanks! We went ahead and kept them in their fenced area today. So we will see what happens!

Back
Top Bottom