One eye closed?

hellotrixie

Songster
Dec 21, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Sorry in advance that I do not have pictures yet. I have an 11 month old, which should explain my lack of time...

I have a 2 year old BSL hen that is keeping one eye closed. She free ranges in our fenced 1/2 yard all day. I feed Nutrena All Flock and provide fresh water at least daily.

I picked her up and had a good exam when I first noticed the eye closing. The eye CAN open fully. I could also see the third eyelid operating. There is no discharge, bubbles, or visible injury to the eye. There does not appear to be any swelling or redness. Actually, when it is open there is no appreciable difference to her other eye. I irrigated her eye with saline solution.

She is acting normal (eating/drinking etc.) and took a large, healthy poop right in front of me, and laid her usual extra large egg today. She appears to be in good health and recently gained a lot of weight (she was underweight from some stressful events in her chicken life). Her crop was as full as I would normally expect from her. No visible signs of parasites. Vent normal. Abdomen feels good - firm, pliable. Not hard or squishy. No respiratory symptoms (nasal discharge, rales, gurgling, or sneezing). I did not separate her as it doesn't seem warranted yet and I don't want to stress her.

At roosting time I had another look at her but I didn't notice anything different.

I'm wondering if she could have scratched her eye or gotten something in it and it is just more comfortable to keep it closed right now? I plan to keep an eye on her and possibly irrigate again tomorrow. I was also thinking of getting some Terramycin ointment. Is there anything else I should do or be on the lookout for? I'll be very vigilant for respiratory symptoms.

Thanks!!

It sounds like you are doing what I would do with irrigating the etpye and applying Terramycin eye ointment in case there is something causing the eye to be closed. Look around for a feather or speck of something in the eye that is irritating it.

It sounds like you are doing what I would do with irrigating the etpye and applying Terramycin eye ointment in case there is something causing the eye to be closed. Look around for a feather or speck of something in the eye that is irritating it.

Ok, great. I examined her again this morning and she is keeping the eye open normally. I checked all around the edges for debris but didn't see anything. I did not irrigate again because I don't like to handle her much before she lays her egg (she has an issue with thin shells), but I might do that later today. I will also get the ointment today.

As always, thanks for your help!

One of my hens was doing the same thing today. No blood or signs of injury. No discharge or anything. She opens it and can see out of it. I was wondering the same, if she bumped it or something. I dripped some water on it to flush it slightly. I got a photo of it to help. Sounds like the terramycin is the way to go?

Attachments

• 570DBA0C-E638-4123-B283-1907691210E2.jpeg
    570DBA0C-E638-4123-B283-1907691210E2.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 4
Saline or saline eye wash is always good to lubricate and clean the eye. The Terramycin is oxytetracycline antibiotic, and would be helpful if an eye has infection or a peck wound. Ammonia odors and dust can be irritating to eyes.

Sorry in advance that I do not have pictures yet. I have an 11 month old, which should explain my lack of time...

I have a 2 year old BSL hen that is keeping one eye closed. She free ranges in our fenced 1/2 yard all day. I feed Nutrena All Flock and provide fresh water at least daily.

I picked her up and had a good exam when I first noticed the eye closing. The eye CAN open fully. I could also see the third eyelid operating. There is no discharge, bubbles, or visible injury to the eye. There does not appear to be any swelling or redness. Actually, when it is open there is no appreciable difference to her other eye. I irrigated her eye with saline solution.

She is acting normal (eating/drinking etc.) and took a large, healthy poop right in front of me, and laid her usual extra large egg today. She appears to be in good health and recently gained a lot of weight (she was underweight from some stressful events in her chicken life). Her crop was as full as I would normally expect from her. No visible signs of parasites. Vent normal. Abdomen feels good - firm, pliable. Not hard or squishy. No respiratory symptoms (nasal discharge, rales, gurgling, or sneezing). I did not separate her as it doesn't seem warranted yet and I don't want to stress her.

At roosting time I had another look at her but I didn't notice anything different.

I'm wondering if she could have scratched her eye or gotten something in it and it is just more comfortable to keep it closed right now? I plan to keep an eye on her and possibly irrigate again tomorrow. I was also thinking of getting some Terramycin ointment. Is there anything else I should do or be on the lookout for? I'll be very vigilant for respiratory symptoms.

Thanks!!
This is actually quite normal I used to have a hen who would do this often and I freaked out about it like crazy. All it means is that she has gotten dirt in it or something that is irritating it. Kind of like when you get an eyelash stuck in your eye. All you need to do is let her keep on doing her business like nothing is wrong. I just gave the hens freshwater with some apple cider vinegar (which will help whatever dirt particles did not become an eye infection). So just give it a day or two and see if it gets better.

Back
Top Bottom