One girl left after predator attack - what to do??

nuchickontheblock

Songster
9 Years
May 16, 2010
south portland, maine
Sadly, this morning a dog somehow came into our totally fenced yard (owner was right behind him with a leash trying to catch him) and killed one of our 2 chickens.

These were two very sweet golden comets that we were "borrowing" from a family member for the warm months while we are up north, with plans to return them in late fall.

So, after a short search, we found the surviving girl hiding behind a wheel barrow and she has been a bit disoriented all day. Still pecking around the yard, but seems a bit bewildered. I am a believer that chickens are flock animals and should not be alone. Anyone want to advise --should we try to get one more chicken to keep her company or return her to the original flock?

I'm really sorry to hear that.

You could try one of two things: Introduce a couple (better than one) new hens to her, preferably a little younger than her. Do it slowly, start with a fence between them and then carefully introduce them.

Or you could try returning her to her old flock. They may not take to a single chicken very well. Once a chicken leaves, they tend not to like them coming back.

I hope she gets a friend soon! She will be happier and feel safer. Best of luck!

You're borrowing these chickens?

I'd ask the owners what they want to do.

I'd be leery of just picking up another chicken because of disease/pests.

Do you have some separate enclosures to keep new chicken in before physical integration?
Do you have a secure enclosure(s) to keep them safe from other predators?

Last edited:
We did speak to my SIL who we are "borrowing" the chickens from and she offered us another hen. We probably will take one more hen to keep our girl company. We do have separate cages of different sizes so could keep them separated in the run and coop for a day or two. I would need to keep our new girl in the coop/run anyway for a while so she would know where her new home was. We do have a secure run, but it is only 4 x 6 - fairly small to me. However, it is safe. We thought our fenced in yard was safe too though, but I guess not.

The borrowing part is that last year we started to go to FL for a few months in the winter. But, we really have missed having chickens like we used to, so asked my husband's sister if we could have a couple of girls from her flock just for the warm months when we are up in Maine. We have a coop and all that we need -- so it was just a matter of getting them some food.

Our intent had always been to return them to their original flock in the fall.

Back
Top Bottom