One Hen - Extending the time an egg is hatchable?

Torch404

Songster
11 Years
Jan 15, 2009
Northern Cali
I have a conundrum...I have one hen and one roo. I want to hatch the eggs and would like to maximize the viable # of eggs I can hatch at any one time.

Conventionally I'd be able to get about 7 eggs before the first ones I gathered start to loose viability.

I remember reading something about pre incubating eggs for 6 hours or something like that, but I don't even know how to search for that again?

But what can I do to get about a dozen or more viable from one hen?

There is the pre-incubation thing. Also, wrapping them in plastic will prevent moisture loss. While not normal storage, storing them long term, large end down will keep the yolk centered.
Your best bet would be to do a staggered hatch. Set 6 and a week or so later, set 6 more.

Got $20? For about that much money, and by scrounging bits and pieces, you can make a very functional incubator. Use one to incubate, and the other one to hatch. You should be able to come up with just about every thing you need around the house. The only thing you'll need to buy will be a thermostat. There are lots of options available. Check out Incubator Warehouse. Check out STC1000 for a specific model of thermostat. Check out Sally Sunshine and Rush Lane Poultry for some excellent "how to" tutorials.

I built my first incubator that way, but don't have the time with building and testing at the moment. I found that article about the 6 hour incubation...I may give it a try.

I don't have a 2nd incubator to put them in for lockdown/hatching so I don't think I can pull off a staggered hatch.
You don't need a second incubator to do a staggered hatch.

Just make sure there is at least 4 days between settings so you can get the chicks out without affecting the humidity during pipping of the late bloomers.

That's a great tip I never realized I could do that. I thought raising the humidity at the end would adversely affect the younger eggs. I'll give that go Thanks!

What is critical is average humidity during incubation. If there's a rainstorm during incubation, a hen can't keep ambient humidity from spiking into the high 90s.

Back
Top Bottom