One hen refusing to roost

mamatoes

Songster
5 Years
Feb 29, 2016
Ontario
It's pretty cold right now. -11 Celsius. And for the last week or so (that I've noticed) one of my hens won't go up on the roost. She stays on the floor. I have to go out and put her up every night. And I have no clue if she stays up. She has poop on her wings and I'm not sure what to do or why she's like this!

She could be ill or it could be a pecking order issue.

Do you have enough roost length for all your birds?
At least a foot per bird?
Easy to get to roost, some extra room for the Roost Time Rumble?

I've had what I think is a low status bird roosting alone for the last few nights,
put her on the roost after dark since we were at lows of 7F (-13C).
Move them well after dark and they'll stay put.

She doesn't seem weird or ill. The roost is long enough, there's an empty spot where she should be! If I don't put her on roost will she be ok? There it literally no way a rodent could get in.

Thanks!!

She doesn't seem weird or ill. The roost is long enough, there's an empty spot where she should be! If I don't put her on roost will she be ok? There it literally no way a rodent could get in.

Thanks!!
If there's a spot big enough for her to fit....is there room for her to fly up with her wing span not touching the other birds or a wall?
Numbers aren't be all and tell all....but they can help assess a situation, so I will ask:
How many birds?
How long is roost in feet or meters?
How high off the floor is roost?

If there's a spot big enough for her to fit....is there room for her to fly up with her wing span not touching the other birds or a wall?
Numbers aren't be all and tell all....but they can help assess a situation, so I will ask:
How many birds?
How long is roost in feet or meters?
How high off the floor is roost?

I don't remember exact dimensions. It is a smaller coop. 6 birds is my max and we have 6 and they never had an issue getting up before. It's a shorter coop but I have maybe 2 feet up head space above the roost. I think the roost is 6 ft long. It used to be a shorter roost and we made it bigger so they had a bit more space and now she won't go on it.

Chickens. Im always learning.

If that's the number of birds the manufacturer say it will hold.....it's probably too small for 6.
Real numbers and/or pics.

Hehe I'm the manufacturer. Just going by what I learned in here. I'm not home at the moment but I'll get some measurements and pictures. I just don't get why they were fine before and now she's changed.

Back
Top Bottom