One lone hen?? :'( Our flock is down to a solo gal, what to do next??

Check out California’s NPIP list and/or the Livestock Conservancy website. A breeder who goes through the step of getting tested will probably charge more than someone who doesn’t but it will give you a little peace of mind about getting healthy birds.

We had a ~4-month old pullet, non-laying, end up by her lonesome after her flockmates fell prey to a predator. We got 3 baby chicks for her and in some ways, she reverted to acting like a younger chick herself (chirps included!). She never pecked on her young new friends. We did supervised integration in yard for a few days after chicks feathered out (around 3-4 weeks) but the pullet really did seem to adopt herself into the new flock. Personification perhaps, but she seemed grateful to have feathered friends.

I agree, Plan "A" is getting chicks. As mentioned, create a brooding area for them within the coop. Older chickens, in general, are usually very tolerant of chicks. And, once she sees them, she would know she is not alone.

Plans B. If you can't get chicks (which is tough this time of year) maybe check out Craigslist for fertile eggs and invest in, or borrow, an incubator to hatch your own.

Plan C would to spend as much time as is feasible with her, so she has some company and interaction, until you are able to get chicks.

Plan D would be to re-home her to a person with a flock that she can be added to.

All and all, it is a tough situation. I hope you are able to fine a good solution.

Our local feed store keeps chicks that aren't sold, and they often have older pullets to sell. Yours might too.
But if chicks aren't an option, maybe another kind of animal or bird like guinea fowl or ducks would give her companionship until chickens are available.

We got 2 older chickens for our non laying girl and it has worked well.It helped that they were used to being handled and were with smaller pullets as our Araucana was not large. Good luck!

I have nothing to add in the way of suggestions, but I just want to say that I think she is beautiful! :love I do love a blue hen, and just purchased six Sapphire Blue pullet chicks from Hoover's Hatchery. If they turn out to be as pretty as your girl, I will be well pleased! (They are supposed to lay brown eggs.)

Contact local 4-H clubs or post at your feed store. Personally, I don't think it is a dire situation. Yes, it would be more fun for everyone if you have more chickens, but they won't go into a decline if they don't.

So you really don't need an immediate solution to this.

I do put chicks into the coop at 3-4 weeks, without heat, but with an insulated brooder as I don't have electricity. They need to be homed to that, so mine sleep in it from the time I get them. I have a heat lamp for a warm up spot during the day.

Mrs K

Thank you so much! I did post her pic in couple local groups and ask about available 7month olds- and most of the available pullets/hens are either quite a bit younger or older so I'm hoping to find some closer to her age/size asap. I love your guess because she's a mystery to us- she was labled as a bantam at the feed store and she is for sure not that lol- she lays light brown eggs. Hoping to find her some buddies soooon! <3
your hen looks like a blue australorp. I have 2 and they lay light brown eggs.

Back
Top Bottom