one more duck question

In call ducks I use 1 drake to 5 hens......(I keep 4 drakes and only 12 hens) But, I will breed each hen twice a season with different drakes.......once in spring and again in summer. In wood ducks or Mandarins it's 1 to 1. In mallards, I try to keep 2 drakes in with 8 hens. If you have a heavy duck (pekins or roeuns) I'd have 1 drake to no more than 3 hens.

Trios seem to work best. My current breeding ducks are 4 females and 7 males. That's yoru typical 'straight run'.
smile.png

Definitely no less than two hens per drake (really only if you're keeping them separate in trios), but it's better to have 4-6 per drake -everyone will be happier.

If you're looking for fertilized eggs (for selling/breeding, etc) than keep them in trios, or keep the ratio a bit lower (but no less than two ducks to a drake!), especially if you raise a heavier breed.

If you're just looking for eggs for eating you don't need drakes at all.

i agree with trios but right now i am a few shy of that and all of mine are runin together so with i belive 16 i have lest say 7 to 8 males in there .. dang now i wornder lol ill have to count .. but as of right now all is fine and has been but spring when breeding ill have thier own pens ..

Back
Top Bottom