one of my 13 day old chicks lethargic

I know our instincts is to try to help such a tiny helpless creature but the books I've read about raising poultry say remove and cull. There is the consideration of possibly making the others ill. I don't know if I could do it, I certainly would not want to do it, but I just thought I'd add that perspective. I trust much of the information in "how to" books, I would conclude that there is sound reasoning behind the recommendation. No one takes pleasure in it or the decision lightly.

i say dont give up on her my little bit had a ruff few days when i first got her to the point that i would not name her (thats why she is little bit thats just what i called her) come to find out she was a fresh hatch when i got her she had pasty but not very energtic i even told my daughter and my neices to be prepared she prob was not going to make. THANK GOD I DID NOT JUST GIVE UP ON HER! I had her sleep on my chest had to keep cleaning her pasty butt up one thing i swear by is yogart started that right off the bat strawberry thats all i had and with in about 3 days she was doing great and im so happy to have her in my flock so i say if she has fight in her then give her a chance to live.

maybe try and give her some yogart it cant hurt.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
I have separated the chic only because the other chics sort of hoard the food and water but she seems a little better. She at least seems interested in the food. She's not eating much of it and I've tried to keep fluids in her with an eye dropper. However, not all birds open their beak when you touch it with water and she's one of them!! She is getting some though. What has me concerned is that her crop is still distended and mushy like a water balloon. I've been massaging it. I don't know if that helps?? I'm going to try some yogurt. I have some plain in the fridge that I make smoothies with!!

I've got one that I'm using parrot hand feed mix alternated with electrolyte formula, alternated with water in a syringe. One of the things that I've done with Stanley....(her name because I was watching the Kings in the Stanley Cup Finals last night) is I'm puttng a small drop on the side of her beak and as it seeps in she seems to suck it in and then go more toward it to drink.

Will be following the thread... yay! Hope all goes well... time to feed Stanley.
lau.gif

The best thing happened about an hour after I put the above picture of the chick in another box. I went in to check on them and the box was empty! She had fluttered over and back into the brooder with the flock. She evidently didn't like being alone! She was acting completely normal!! The funny thing is that it's the first time that I forgot to put the lid on the brooder!!

And here she is eating like crazy!

I hope she now continues to be a normal healthy little chic!!! Phewwwwwww!!!!

Last night went ok, but this chic is not active at all like the others and I noticed one (buff orpington) who I'm sure is head of the pecking order comes over and pecks him when he moves around. So I picked out a more docile chic as a buddy and put both in the separate box. This time with a chicken wire lid. I gave him some yogurt this morning. She takes a little and then the buddy chic started pecking at her because she wanted it. So she's back in her separate box. I noticed that she is eating a little and drinking. Crop is still distended and mushy.

I lost my little chic this evening. She refused to eat or drink anymore. She got weaker and weaker and finally just slept away. I had named her Millicent..

Back
Top Bottom