One of my 3-Day Olds seems to only being doing half of the drinking motion.

cortex2366

Hatching
May 17, 2024
New chicken owner, researched for a year so no expert, but not ignorant on the topic; however, this is something I can't seem to find any information on. We recently received 7 chicks that are all 3 days old at this point. They all arrived alive and healthy looking. No pasty butt on any of them, at first, but then our black australorp drew my daughter's attention with some behaviors and sure enough she did have a minor case. Got her all cleaned up and she certainly seems happy and healthy; however, we do have a slight concern about her still.

While all of the other chicks are eating and drinking just fine, she is eating, but drinking seems to be..an issue, but in a weird way. She knows where the water is, she dips her beak in, but we have not yet seen her tilt her head up and back to actually swallow like all the rest do (2 Rhode Island Reds, Buff Cochin, White Cochin, Black Cochin, light Brahma). Myl teenage daughter is a being a great mama hen and she has been with them for most of the day all day yesterday and today and says she has only seem the beak dipping, but she hasn't seen the australorp raising her head. Can she be swallowing enough without doing this?

Again, she seems happy and relatively healthy but my wife just old me that she had an incident of pasty butt again they had to clean off. This sorta leads me to believe she isn't getting enough water with her food.

Are we being over worried here? Is this a normal behavior for some chicks? Is there something we could or should do? Thanks!

When they are so young, they're pretty awkward at eating/drinking. I wouldn't worry too much unless this continues for more than another day. At least it's getting some small amt by dipping its beak, but you're right, they have to tilt their heads up or back.

You could try make a mash out of their crumbles with a little water so it's the consistency of cooked oatmeal, really thick though. They usually go nuts over that and are getting some fluids with the feed that way.

:goodpost:. Keep an eye on her, but I wouldn't worry for a few days. I've hatched hundreds of chicks and there's always going to be a oddball. Some take a bit longer to sort things out. Is her poop particularly dry, or is it the normal moist texture? If it's moist, she has enough water in her system. Good luck

Thanks for the responses! She figured it out before my wife and daughter's eyes. We have a buff cochin who is already clearly a boss who is very...pronounced at drinking the water :lol:.Wife said when the buff cochin was drinking, this oddball watched her intently then immediately started doing it herself, so all is well with her now. I had assumed she'd eventually figure it out, but wanted to be sure. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom