One of my 5month old orpingtons cannot stand up

I know I should put her down but I keep making excuses - and today I actually saw improvement. Im hoping no one else gets whatever it is and i realize she will always have to be separated, but if she is savable I have to try.

CICU in full effect over here! You have no idea. I am actually a nurse so weve got all the stops out for "bathroom chicken"! My son even suggested tube feeding her.

So heres the latest: Last night she got colloidal silver and Sulmet in her water. I FORCE fed her vitamins, cat food and 2 meal worms along with as much water with Sulmet in it as she could handle. I left her sleeping under a heat light - she was totally limp and breathing out of her mouth. Honestly I didnt think she would last the night. This morning she was still pretty listless and I thought tonight I would have to "take care of her"
BUT Tonight she was downright perky!! Ate all her feed mixed with yogurt (first time she ate by herself in 3 days) and was able to stay sitting upright for the first time in 4 days (maybe with a slight lean).

A sane person would put her down - but as long as she seems to have some life in her I will keep trying. I will also be more understanding when I have patients families who want to continue with illogical treatments on their terminal family members.
finally read that document - do you think the MEAL WORMS i feed the girls could have given them Mareks or did i read that wrong whoops - responded to my own post - rookie move

Last edited:
great link - Im a nurse and we LOVE poop!!
I am not a nurse and I found it helpful, every time I freak out about the chickens acting strange I refer to it as one of my first guides. I think you are doing more then I would be able to but I also would not have the heart to cull if she was getting better. If it is Merks then they all have it already but if it is not it would probably pain you to find out if you did not try to save her. She is a very lucky chicken, even if she does not know it.

I read that, too. I was concerned, like you, that I had somehow infected my own birds with treats. After reading it several times, it says that the beetles and worms must come from an infected coop. Since the mealworms that are found in stores are farmed there really is no chance of infection from mealworms. If you were to farm your own, and your chickens had Marek's, and you gave your friends mealworms to feed to their chickens...then, there is a risk. I hope I helped put your mind at ease. This one sent me for a loop for a second there, too!
finally read that document - do you think the MEAL WORMS i feed the girls could have given them Mareks or did i read that wrong

I read that, too. I was concerned, like you, that I had somehow infected my own birds with treats. After reading it several times, it says that the beetles and worms must come from an infected coop. Since the mealworms that are found in stores are farmed there really is no chance of infection from mealworms. If you were to farm your own, and your chickens had Marek's, and you gave your friends mealworms to feed to their chickens...then, there is a risk. I hope I helped put your mind at ease. This one sent me for a loop for a second there, too!
thanks leadwolf - I keep trying to catch you online so i can try to IM you (new to this site so dont know if thats even possible)
anyways im so depressed - she is much more perky and eating better but still no better with respect to the paralysis

it has been two weeks and although thats not much time i am getting very tired and neglecting my other household responsibilities.
i guess i am looking for permission to put her down
hide.gif

If you are asking, then you have my permission. It is so hard to watch them waste away. If it has been 2 weeks, it is highly doubtful that she will get better. I'm so very sorry
hugs.gif

Click on my avatar...you can PM me at any time.
thanks leadwolf - I keep trying to catch you online so i can try to IM you (new to this site so dont know if thats even possible)
anyways im so depressed - she is much more perky and eating better but still no better with respect to the paralysis

it has been two weeks and although thats not much time i am getting very tired and neglecting my other household responsibilities.
i guess i am looking for permission to put her down
hide.gif

I am really sorry but we all know you tried your best. If she is still suffering I have to agree, trust me I am the last one to give up on an animal and putting one down is not easy. Do see if you can get her checked out for Merks. I am also always here too.
hugs.gif

Thanks everyone - I couldn't have made it through without all your help and support.
I ended it this week.
hit.gif

I've been looking at pictures of her tonight
hit.gif
hit.gif

In hindsight she was always a bit smaller and more frail than her sister.
The other chickens knew from the beginning, it took me longer to figure it out. I tried valiantly but it was not to be.

In other news - We finally finished the coop castle we have been working on for months, pics to come.

Thanks everyone - I couldn't have made it through without all your help and support.
I ended it this week.
hit.gif

I've been looking at pictures of her tonight
hit.gif
hit.gif

In hindsight she was always a bit smaller and more frail than her sister.
The other chickens knew from the beginning, it took me longer to figure it out. I tried valiantly but it was not to be.

In other news - We finally finished the coop castle we have been working on for months, pics to come.

I am sorry, putting an animal down is always hard. At least she is not in pain any more. Congratulations on finishing the Coop, I am still working on mine.

Back
Top Bottom