One of my Dogs Really Likes Quail

Em Ty

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 3, 2013
St. Clements, ON
I've got 2 poodles, a toy and a miniature. The toy has all of his hunting instincts still, which is surprising, but he stalks and kills. Even though he's all of 12 pounds, he scares my hens a little because he goes into stalking mode. He knows not to go after them and the hens are OK with him, but he just can't seem to behave any other way around them.

My mini, on the other hand, is basically a big, dumb, friendly dog in a 17 lb package. She thinks everything is her friend, except squirrels, and just wants to play. She tries to play with any dog, cat, raccoon or rabbit that comes by and is the same with the chickens. She charges right into them to get them to play and they just ignore her. They sometimes don't even move.

She is very interested in my quail chicks, so I took one out yesterday to show her. She licked it. Knowing her, I figured it was a friendly gesture, but later in the day when I took another one out for her, she tried to nip it. She held herself back and whined and looked up at me, but a 'No' held her in check. I put the quail back and my dog just trembled while she stared at them. That's the first time in 7 years that she's ever looked at something as prey and I was quite surprised. She has very little interest in the adult quail, but the chicks seem to bring out the hunter in her. Guess who's not allowed to see the chicks anymore...

droolin.gif
I like quail too! Sorry your dog isnt getting along with your quail. I have a poodle mix that has a very strong predatory sense. She goes after birds bigger than she is. Shes about 15 pounds and will chase down a full grown goose.

Back
Top Bottom