One of my girls is not laying. Why?

quip17

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 14, 2014
Woodstock, On
We have had 3 birds for a month now, 2 HRIR and one URIR. The 2 HRIR are laying well but after almost a month, miss Maple, our URIR hasn't given us a thing.
I suspected that she may have fleas, so we did a liquid spray treatment (sevin isn't available to is) on all of them and I am not seeing the bugs I saw on her previously.

Her appetite is good, she sleeps a bit more than the other two but will run across the yard as well. I am attaching some photos of her vent (which is hard to see but looks good, open and not dried out)
She has some red patches on her belly that seem to be improving a bit.

What are everyone's thoughts?

(Belly)
(Vent)
under the wing looks a bit dirty...
feathers on the wings
legs look good to me...
(Near her rear end)

Sorry for all the pictures...

Quip

Is she staying in the nest all the time? Her breast says she is broody. Does she have mites? Is she molting? All these will help answer the question to why she isn't laying.

She isn't broody, not laying in her nest. She was treated for possible fleas as I saw some white build up on some feathers and I spotted a couple bugs. This was over a week ago.
Not 100% sure about molting.... I have only seen a few lost feathers in the coop, not more than I would think is normal.

I would just watch her and give her some time. this time of the year many are molting...some you can't hardly tell...and will start back laying once done

Back
Top Bottom