One of my hens poops on her egg EVERY SINGLE TIME!

littlelemon

Songster
12 Years
Mar 15, 2007
Ohio
I feel kind of silly even posting this, but it is really getting on my nerves. I have had hens for 5 years now, and they are pretty clean in the nest box. I have had poop in the nest box before, but it is usually when I have a broody hen in there, or just a random poop once in awhile.
I have one Welsummer hen who poops every time she lays an egg. EVERY. TIME. She has been laying for over a year now, and it is really aggravating me. I am so tired of reaching in the nest box and getting a handful of you-know-what. To be fair, it is not a huge amount-it's not like a normal sized chicken poop. It's almost like when she pushed out her egg whatever poop is in there gets pushed out as well. I wonder if she has some kind of problem-I guess she must since it has happened continuously since she began laying.
I am not planning on getting rid of her, but I am annoyed about this. I take a paper towel with me to the coop so that if it is still wet I can just wipe the poop off immediately. If it has dried it is a huge pain to get off and I usually just crack the egg and let the chickens eat the insides right then rather than try to clean the egg for myself.
Does anyone else have a hen that does this?

My light Brahama does...there is always a smear of poo on her egg..not sure why...it can get annoying..I wash my eggs always..but I have to wash hers longer!

I am having this issue and I was hoping there would be some advice on your thread!
Weirdly the egg with poop always has the best yolk colour so it must be the same hen and like you, the nest box is clean.
I would say ours is more than a smear but not a full poop. It’s really annoying but also a concern if there is something wrong...

I am having this issue and I was hoping there would be some advice on your thread!
Weirdly the egg with poop always has the best yolk colour so it must be the same hen and like you, the nest box is clean.
I would say ours is more than a smear but not a full poop. It’s really annoying but also a concern if there is something wrong...
I have the same issue with one of my wyandottes. She usually has a good dollop of poop attached to her eggs, not a full sized poop, but substantially more than a "smear" of poop. I just figure that there is something wrong with her anatomy, and I've wondered if it is indicative of something else that could be treated.

I just figure that there is something wrong with her anatomy, and I've wondered if it is indicative of something else that could be treated.
Yep, the 'two-way door' is not functioning correctly.
Have had several birds that do this.
I don't think there's any way to 'fix' it.

I have the same issue with one of my wyandottes. She usually has a good dollop of poop attached to her eggs, not a full sized poop, but substantially more than a "smear" of poop. I just figure that there is something wrong with her anatomy, and I've wondered if it is indicative of something else that could be treated.
Try deworming and trimming back some of her butt fluff.

And check on her weight, as sometimes an accumulated fat pad underneath the vent can be the cause.

Back
Top Bottom