One of my male quail is more aggressive than the other male

KAZINO

In the Brooder
May 22, 2023
I'm aware I only have 4 females and 2 males, 2 females for each male wich is not enough and they may mate to death but one of my Quails does mate with the 2 females but is much more gentle and doesn't pull them around making them bald and causing them to stress out, however the other male makes both females bald and stressed and more skittish and chases them simply because I had one of the females out and put them back in, he then goes after them and stresses both females out, I know this can just be natural behaviour for quaild and its just that one is over the top and the other is much nicer but is there any way to calm them in any way or help them grow their head feathers back since I can swap females or males around, (the kind male with the bald females are both as scared as eachother, then the not bald ones with the mean male, the females stand up for themselves stressing even the male out to the point he stands still in a corner even when he gets the original females back then he goes back to being mean) I am trying my best to take care of them as best as I can with the number I have and even if the females are getting harassed om still trying to give them breaks by taking the male away into another cage but he then calls out really loud and I'm surprised that the girls seem to be scared without him and then they just go to sleep but I try to give them a rest from being dragged around and feather pulling, I'm trying to keep them healthy enough to withstand the male and I try to stop him from doing what he does with them. If you do have even a little idea on how to even just keep them all distracted on something (then thank you) so they might leave eachother for a bit and then go to sleep for a bit in the hope it calms them down by doing something else that makes them tired again (I don't mean constantly making them sleep but just keep them occupied so when they're finished they may go and sleep) I don't plan on getting rid of them but I'm trying to find ways to look after them how I can.

Terry from Cortunix Corner says the first attribute he uses to decide whether or not he should keep a rooster in his breeding program is aggression. He culls aggressive roosters immediately.

I'm trying to link the video, but he has so many on the subject. I have ingested hundreds of hours to this point that I can remember specifically where it is at.

Terry from Cortunix Corner says the first attribute he uses to decide whether or not he should keep a rooster in his breeding program is aggression. He culls aggressive roosters immediately.

I'm trying to link the video, but he has so many on the subject. I have ingested hundreds of hours to this point that I can remember specifically where it is at.
I breed for temperament as well. Aggressive birds (hens too) get eaten.

I'm way too attached to them to do such a thing or even at all even if I wasn't so attached, I loved them even before I put them in an incubator 🥲

I'm trying to keep them healthy enough to withstand the male and I try to stop him from doing what he does with them.
I think this is the trouble with owning quail, and most poultry. They really can't be trained in this sense. And the damage they can inflict on other birds in their confinement, quickly, is significant.

I hope this one works out for you!

I think this is the trouble with owning quail, and most poultry. They really can't be trained in this sense. And the damage they can inflict on other birds in their confinement, quickly, is significant.

I hope this one works out for you!
Thank you tho

I'm way too attached to them to do such a thing or even at all even if I wasn't so attached, I loved them even before I put them in an incubator 🥲
Im not saying you should jump to culling. Part of loving an animal is caring for it properly. There comes a point, where the loving thing to do, is to remove an animal. You have to have a plan for end of life. You may or may not be there right now, but if you continue raising quail you will get there or watch a psycho bird harm/ kill others.

You could try placing the two boys in a bachelor pad. If puberty just started don’t be surprised if your timid bird gets the same bald spot though. If they’re older birds I doubt the aggressive one will change.

Im not saying you should jump to culling. Part of loving an animal is caring for it properly. There comes a point, where the loving thing to do, is to remove an animal. You have to have a plan for end of life. You may or may not be there right now, but if you continue raising quail you will get there or watch a psycho bird harm/ kill others.

You could try placing the two boys in a bachelor pad. If puberty just started don’t be surprised if your timid bird gets the same bald spot though. If they’re older birds I doubt the aggressive one will change.
The females stress tho when the male isn't there even tho he isn't nice to them and then the 4 females and nice male all leave the two bc they've made their own groups of 3

Back
Top Bottom